Need some help programming this thing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the TET 612 PID temp controller for my brutus stand, and I was hoping someone could help me with the programming,
I have attached a pic of it.
My set up; I am using 3 jet style propane burners. I have 2 honeywell gas valves, with spark ignition, a johnson temp probe, and I have NO idea how to program this thing..LOL. I looked at the instruction manual for it, and I am still lost.

Thanks
Josh

TET612-2.jpg

One other thing that I forgot to ask about.
With this controller, it shows the set temp, and the current temp. Do I need another switch on the control panel to turn on the burners? Or will tis controller do all that itself?

Thanks again,

I've got this same PID and the manual is pretty obtuse. I'm using it on an electric element so I use the SSR output to a SSR to turn the element on and off. For gas I assume you use the relay J1 to activate the gas solenoid valve, but I don't know how the igniter is tied into that.

The big trick I had to figure out was setting the parameters. To change them you press 'set' and then use the right arrow and up/down arrows to change the display to read '0089'. Then press 'set' again.

The display now shows the parameter type 'Inty' and 'Outy'. The red display is the current selection. 'Inty' is the temp probe type, so hit set and it shows the current setting. Up/down arrow moves through them and 'set' locks it in and takes you back to the parameter type list.

Do you have it hooked to power and are you getting temperature feedback?

wehumble,
Thanks for the reply, its starting to make a little mroe sense now.
I have not hooked up the temp probe yet, I am also having an issue with that as well. The temp probe that I have has 3 wires, and I really dont know where all three wires go onto the pid controller.

Thanks

What kind of probe is it? Mine is a PTD thermistor with 3 wires. I hooked it up with the two reds on terminals 9 & 10 and the other wire on terminal 8.

It's not like hooking up 120 volts. You won't blow anything up trying different combinations. :cross:

I didn't think PID's were that useful for a propane/solenoid setup... I'm going with the love controllers on my build for this exact reason... I thought the point of the PID was that it could learn the response temps., but that was only useful for electric applications. I would think that since you are using solenoid valves (which are either open or closed) there would be no reason to use a PID. I'd guess that with a proportional valve, a PID could be useful... Correct me if I'm wrong.

What kind of probe is it? Mine is a PTD thermistor with 3 wires. I hooked it up with the two reds on terminals 9 & 10 and the other wire on terminal 8.

It's not like hooking up 120 volts. You won't blow anything up trying different combinations. :cross:

Mine is a Johnson replacement temp probe.

3 wires, 2 are white, and the other is a bare silver wire.

I will try it and see what happens.

I didn't think PID's were that useful for a propane/solenoid setup... I'm going with the love controllers on my build for this exact reason... I thought the point of the PID was that it could learn the response temps., but that was only useful for electric applications. I would think that since you are using solenoid valves (which are either open or closed) there would be no reason to use a PID. I'd guess that with a proportional valve, a PID could be useful... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Good GAWD man...I hope your wrong. I already have the panel cut out for it.

I went with this type so in the future, if I decided to switch to all electric, I would already have the components.

There was another guy on here (somewhere) that used the same set up.

As far as the temperature, as long as the temp probe is set up for the reading, the PID will open or close the circuit to turn on my ignition modules no?

I mean whats the difference between the electric heating elements and the gas? As long as I have a gas ignition module, the the PID will control?/

I dont know, maybe I understand it a different way?

I will see if I can find the link to the thread that the other guy was using the same PID controller.

If you are going to go electric later on, this is fine. I was just saying that you dont HAVE to have a PID for a gas setup unless you want to use proportional solenoid valves.

Just wanted to update this, I did not have the correct temp probe. I will be ordering a replacement, and getting the correct ones.

Thanks

Back