Bud Light Golden Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Well got some of this free at work....Not too bad, not too great either. You can tell it is a really dubbed down version of a Belgina Whit. I wouldn't ever by it, but if it was offered to me at a party I would drink it over other crap like Miller, or Bud Light, or Keystone.

I know a guy who does market research for AB/In-Bev. He let me try this several months before it was released. It's a lagered wheat... basically tastes like a wheat budweiser. Seems to be missing any fruity, estery componets you would expect in a typical ale wheat. As someone who likes a good hefeweizen, I wasn't impressed. If you like budweiser, you might like it.

A friend of mine, a bmc drinker really liked it. Went to get more and was told they are discontinuing it. Wonder if that's true.

I have not tried this. I did try their American Ale.

I mean, technology-wise, AB should be able to consistantly brew an excellent beer. They just have terrible recipes, IMO.

When I heard the description of the American Ale, I figured it sounded good (they even dry hopped it). But, when I got it, I was disappointed. I couldn't give the stuff away either. No one wanted it.

I think AB is in a bind trying to branch out with new beer styles. They put out a new style, but try to not get too bold with it because they want to try and pull in two audiences:
(1) introduce something new to their core customers
(2) attract some of the folks who like craft beer and don't buy AB products.

Unfortunately, the fact the recipe is toned down to not scare group (1) makes it unappealing to group (2), and group (1) is STILL not going to like it because it is not a watery lager.

They end up brewing to target two crowds and they miss both of them.

I only had one and I thought it tasted similar to Blue Moon.

I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing, but that was my observation. One benefit of American Ale over Bud Light Golden Wheat is that the American Ale is a nice pryoff bottle that can be reused where the Golden Wheat is twistoff :(

I'm with the OP. I won't buy it but will drink it over the other BMC options. I prefer it over Blue Moon. Blue Moon, to me, is too sweet.

I mean, technology-wise, AB should be able to consistantly brew an excellent beer. They just have terrible recipes, IMO.

When I heard the description of the American Ale, I figured it sounded good (they even dry hopped it). But, when I got it, I was disappointed. I couldn't give the stuff away either. No one wanted it.

I think AB is in a bind trying to branch out with new beer styles. They put out a new style, but try to not get too bold with it because they want to try and pull in two audiences:
(1) introduce something new to their core customers
(2) attract some of the folks who like craft beer and don't buy AB products.

Unfortunately, the fact the recipe is toned down to not scare group (1) makes it unappealing to group (2), and group (1) is STILL not going to like it because it is not a watery lager.

They end up brewing to target two crowds and they miss both of them.

That makes a lot of sense, but sometimes the stuff they come out with is a hit for their core crowd.. like the lime stuff. Aparantly it sells really well.. I see a lot of chicks drinking it when I go out.

their American Ale is too sweet for me.

I don't know why they even bother to put the Bud name on these products. They already own Shock Top. Why not just put in more advertising money for that? Because they think they will get more market share with the Bud name? I don't know about you guys but all my BMC drinking friends only want Bud Light and nothing else "fancy."

I don't know why they even bother to put the Bud name on these products. They already own Shock Top. Why not just put in more advertising money for that? Because they think they will get more market share with the Bud name? I don't know about you guys but all my BMC drinking friends only want Bud Light and nothing else "fancy."

Shock Top is another one of their attempts to appeal to people who drink micro brews. However, those "in the know" found out that not only is it bad beer, it's made by Budweiser. Kinda defeats the purpose of marketing themselves as a micro when everyone knows it's not.

Back