I was told....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
I was told to always pour the beer from bottle into a glass to leave the yeast sediment in the bottle...is that true? Am i going to have crap at the bottom of the bottles as well?

If you bottle condition, you will have some yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

You can drink it if you want, it won't hurt you, but it doesn't taste all that good.

It's generally a good idea to pour your beer from a bottle to a glass even if it isn't bottle conditioned, as every time you take a drink from that bottle, you cause some sloshing, which slightly oxidizes the beer in it.

So... you should always drink from a glass anyway.

How come is not the same with the beer you buy at the store...how do they do it?

You should always drink from a glass! It is the only way to actually taste and smell your beer. You'll enjoy it more.

Man I could just smell my homebrew for hours. Wife thinks I'm crazy.

How come is not the same with the beer you buy at the store...how do they do it?

They filter out the yeast. Personally bottle conditioned beer tastes better. Beer ages over time and bottle conditioned beer usually gets much better over time.

Many commercial beers are filtered, so no yeast at the bottom. You should drink from a glass from those beers anyway, as the aroma will hit your nose, and smell is a huge part of taste.

Also: there are some styles (Hefeweizen in particular) where you typically pour the yeast in, swirl, and drink it.

You have to decide for yourself whether you care to drink the dregs or not. Opinions vary drastically. TBL may not care for the flavor of yeast but you won't know unless you try. Personally, I try a new beer both ways. Sometimes the yeast can round out a beer. Sometimes it detracts.

And sometimes, people are just fanatical about their beer and obsess about the oxidation potential in a beer that won't last more than 30 minutes whether it's in a glass or in the bottle.

Bottles do limit aroma release while sipping, which is half the experience.

As for what is different in commercial.......

Many commercially packaged beers are filtered thus, no yeast is there. Others, don't have very pleasant aromas to begin with. Either way, it's just something you have to try for yourself to know the real answer as it relates to you.

The main benefit of a good pour is to release the CO2 that will otherwise mask the flavors. Then...yes...this CO2 release will carry up the aroma of the beer.

Even a simple tasting BMC product.

Try taking a swig from a cold bottle, then pour the remainder into a glass and get a good head on that beer. Now taste again and a lot more of the true flavor will come through.

Many craft breweries bottle condition now and encourage you to pour in the yeast. It's a personal preference though.

Last question…So Kegging the better.. No yeast sediment right? If I Keg my beer do I need to add the last corn sugar to it or the C02 does the carbonation instead..

Thanks guys

Last question…So Kegging the better.. No yeast sediment right? If I Keg my beer do I need to add the last corn sugar to it or the C02 does the carbonation instead..

Thanks guys

If you keg, you have less to no sediment as long as you're careful about transferring it. You don't need to add the corn sugar if you keg. You can just hook a co2 tank up to it and let it force carbonate.

With a kegging setup, you can also filter your beer if you want.

Back