1st AG....did awesome I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity guys,
I just brewed my first AG last week. It was a recipe from Tele Twanger (thanks by the way, Austin Homebrew's clone wasn't what I was expecting, more like a pale ale rather than a Boston Ale) Anyway the recipe goes as follows:

Mash:
8.0 lbs Pale Malt (used 8.5 lbs)
.5 lbs Crystal 60L (used 80L - LHBS was out of 60L)
.25 lbs Carapils (used .5 lbs, read the recipe wrong)
Single infusion 152F 60 min (more like 154F)

Hops:
2 oz Spalt pellet 3.3%AA 60 min (28 IBU)
1 oz EK Gold pellet 5%AA 15 min (5 IBU)
1 oz Fuggle plug (dryhop last 10 days secondary)

I batched sparged with Bobby M method and ended up with a total of 7 gallons of wort.

S.G. 1.038 - 1.040 (7 gal)

O.G. 1.048 (6 gal after diluting my 5 gallons with an extra gallon of tap water from not watching the hose on the wort chiller, was getting my yeast, Nottingham's ready)

F.G. 1.010 after 6 days, still in the primary for another 2 weeks

What I really would like to know is, "How was my efficiency for my first time?" Right now the home computer is down (using the work computer), otherwise would have downloaded beersmith.
Thanks for any input

the extra .25lbs of carapils and the crystal malt being 80 lovibond instead of 60 probably pushed your beer towards what you weren't expecting. It is really amazing how small changes like this can impact a recipe.

When I'm lazy, which is all the time I just go here:
TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation

Plug in my recipe, volumes and adjust my EFF until it's close. When I feel like attempting to do math I'll do by hand, get frustrated and then grab a homebrew.

It is really amazing how small changes like this can impact a recipe.

Yea, it's strange how a 1/4 lb of roasted barley and add a "subtle" change to the taste.
Note to self, read the recipe, 2 oz != .25 lbs.

Back