I don't see the point in Bud Light bashing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of Bud light bashing (or light American Beer bashing) in general on this site and among home brewers in general, and although I understand it, I think that it’s counter productive among non homebrewers and the people that drink bud light and other beer-like substances. As homebrewers, we all have friends that think it’s cool that we homebrew and mention that when introducing us to others, say, at the bar. You’ve probably met a few people that say something about you not liking bud light or even a few that immediately see us as snobs. I know I have, and it’s because they have met a few beer snobs before. If someone hands me a bud light, I don’t call it piss water. I say, "thanks" (it's free beer.) When I'm talking to people about homebrewing, say at a bar, they ask what I think about American Light Beers, and I tell them the truth: that I appreciate any beer and that these beers are some of the hardest to reproduce because they're so delicate. I leave out the stuff I dislike. I've had this conversation a lot in a local bar that has a lot of beers on tap, and I usually will drink a BL with them and explain the different characteristics (not many, though). I also explain that it's a lager, and that I don't do lagers for various reasons. You'd be surprised how much BL drinkers can get interested in other beers once you don't insult their beer of choice and tell them what you can appreciate about it. If you did insult their beer, they are more likely to get defensive. If this peaks their interest, the conversation then moves to other beer styles, which I explain in comparison to what they're use to (this has more hops, malty character, etc). Then I suggest we try a microbrew ale with a lighter body that's not too hoppy (more approachable for Light beer drinkers) and I mention how the beer differs. Beer, in general, is an acquired taste. Since I made an effort to appreciate their beer of choice, they usually return the favor and try to appreciate something new. Had I started out with “bud light sucks” I doubt they would try another beer, and if they did, they’d probably find things they disliked about it rather than things that they liked about it. I’ve converted a few BL drinkers to ale drinkers, or at least to people that can appreciate a good ale from time to time. And I like sitting down at the bar and not being thought of as a snob.

You'll inevitably run into people that will never appreciate anything but a mass produced, American beer. My stepdad is like this, and he makes no apologies, since this is America and he'll drink what he damn-well pleases.

Suppose he'll still feel that way when the American beer is made by a Belgian company? :D

BMC-Bashing is what all the cool kids are doing. It lets people feel superior by turning up their nose at what the majority of the world drinks...makes 'em feel special by declaring to everyone who'll listen, "hey, guess what, my palate is so freakin' refined that I don't like American Lite Lager!" I'll usually defend BMC from the elitists, even though I do have my own particular criticisms (like my disgust with Rolling Rock and Heiny for their hideous skunked flavors.)

And eventually, inevitably, someone will make a reference to its supposed comparability to urine. It's the beer forum equivalent of Godwin's Law, "BMC's Law": As a discussion on BMC grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving urine approaches one.

I find it all very boring and tiresome. Drink what you like and stop bashing an entire style because you think it makes you look more refined.

And eventually, inevitably, someone will make a reference to its supposed comparability to urine. It's the beer forum equivalent of Godwin's Law, "BMC's Law": As a discussion on BMC grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving urine approaches one.

I hereby dub it "Evan's Law.";)

I don't care what other people drink. If someone offers me a Bud Light though, I'll say no. Am I a snob? You bet. I know what I like and I'm not going to drink something that I really dislike.

I also like talking s@!t to people, so it is fun to make fun of awful beer, especially in the bars I frequent. I have two world class beer bars within 3 miles of my house, and there's not really any crappy beer served there, so I'm lucky, but I still find ways to make fun of people.

I am a jerk and I know it. Do I care? No. Will I forever make fun of Bud Light? You bet. I do what I love and I know enough to not sound like an idiot when I talk about it. This doesn't mean I'm better than them, but that will never stop me from making fun of them and their awful beer.

BMC-Bashing is what all the cool kids are doing. It lets people feel superior by turning up their nose at what the majority of the world drinks...makes 'em feel special by declaring to everyone who'll listen, "hey, guess what, my palate is so freakin' refined that I don't like American Lite Lager!"

And that's what I run into when someone learns that I homebrew; they either say something like "cool", or they seem to think off the bat that I'm a beer snob, and from hearing others in bars talk smack about BMCs (which is always bound to piss someone off), I can see why.

I don't care what other people drink. If someone offers me a Bud Light though, I'll say no. Am I a snob? You bet. I know what I like and I'm not going to drink something that I really dislike.

I also like talking s@!t to people, so it is fun to make fun of awful beer, especially in the bars I frequent. I have two world class beer bars within 3 miles of my house, and there's not really any crappy beer served there, so I'm lucky, but I still find ways to make fun of people.

I am a jerk and I know it. Do I care? No. Will I forever make fun of Bud Light? You bet. I do what I love and I know enough to not sound like an idiot when I talk about it. This doesn't mean I'm better than them, but that will never stop me from making fun of them and their awful beer.

So, what kind of wonderfully clever little bud light jokes do you have in your repertoire? :p Do you restrict your bashing to certain kinds of American Lager, or are you an equal opportunity sh*t-talker? If the latter, then, is your problem with the style(s) in general and the fact that they even exist, or just with the brands themselves?

Not sure how you reconcile this:
Am I a snob? You bet.

along with this:
I also like talking s@!t to people, so it is fun to make fun of awful beer, especially in the bars I frequent....I still find ways to make fun of people.

To this:
This doesn't mean I'm better than them

I'm not a fan of banana/clove beer and I don't see the reason for adding chocolate and rasberries to a perfectly good stout.

Does this mean I'm going to start a "bash this style" thread or go to the local pub and ridicule people for drinking these beers? Not hardly.

To each his own. If you love beer...you love beer.

Leave the fellow beer drinkers of the world the f<ck alone and go pick on some wine drinking wussies. :mug:

So, what kind of wonderfully clever little bud light jokes do you have in your repertoire? :p Do you restrict your bashing to certain kinds of American Lager, or are you an equal opportunity sh*t-talker? If the latter, then, is your problem with the style(s) in general and the fact that they even exist, or just with the brands themselves?

No, it is just any beer that sucks. There's a local microbrewery that puts out beer that sucks way more than even Bud in my mind, and so it is fair game to me too. I just have a good group of overly bitter and sarcastic friends, and I see nothing wrong with tearing people down in the name of fun. If someone is too sensitive to handle it, they can move on. I've got plenty of friends. Like I said, I'm a jerk.

Oh, and Bud Light is enough of a joke on its own. :)

I'm not sure I see the point in bashing those who bash BMC. It's just not likely to be productive. I'm certainly sure that I don't understand bashing the bashing of the BMC bashing. It's just too much bashing.

I'm not a fan of banana/clove beer and I don't see the reason for adding chocolate and rasberries to a perfectly good stout.

Does this mean I'm going to start a "bash this style" thread or go to the local pub and ridicule people for drinking these beers? Not hardly.

To each his own. If you love beer...you love beer.

Leave the fellow beer drinkers of the world the f<ck alone and go pick on some wine drinking wussies. :mug:

I think it all makes sense. I'm a snob and I drink like one. I like making fun of people, so I do. Just because I make fun of them doesn't mean I am better than them. At all. They probably have tons of wonderful qualities other than their poor taste.

I think if you knew me in person you'd understand. I've had people call me the nicest person and the biggest a$$hole they've ever met in the same sentence. All in good fun. :)

78% of the beer consumed in Texas is Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light.

While these beers taste like nothing, I have tasted plenty of homebrew beers that were awful. The beer I usually get to taste is "what's wrong with this beer I made". There are some that turn out like they are supposed to that I find undrinkable.

If we continue to bash people who drink BMC Lite beers they will never branch out and learn. People are creatures of habit and I would bet that half of the BMC Lite drinkers would make their own if they know they could make something palatable that they like. They are simply afraid to try because people hand the BMC Lite people an IPA and say "I made this myself".
Now it is not our job to make palatable gateway beers just in case we need to convert someone. But, a little understanding would help.

"What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?" - Nick Lowe

Forrest

I'm not sure I see the point in bashing those who bash BMC. It's just not likely to be productive. I'm certainly sure that I don't understand bashing the bashing of the BMC bashing. It's just too much bashing.

I bash everything. Not just beer. I just like it.

78% of the beer consumed in Texas is Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light.

While these beers taste like nothing, I have tasted plenty of homebrew beers that were awful. The beer I usually get to taste is "what's wrong with this beer I made". There are some that turn out like they are supposed to that I find undrinkable.

If we continue to bash people who drink BMC Lite beers they will never branch out and learn. People are creatures of habit and I would bet that half of the BMC Lite drinkers would make their own if they know they could make something palatable that they like. They are simply afraid to try because people hand the BMC Lite people an IPA and say "I made this myself".
Now it is not our job to make palatable gateway beers just in case we need to convert someone. But, a little understanding would help.

Forrest
Speaking of bad beers, I've had quite a few micros lately that were well, the only way I can describe it is "eh". Nothing special at all, and a glass of sweat tea or juice would have been much more satisfying.
Lately I've noticed that I need some REAL flavor in my beers, anything without it just seems mediocre.

I am a beer snob. I will not drink BMC and I will bash it in the correct company. Am I going to walk into a regular bar and tell everyone their beer sucks (NO) but if I'm drinking microbrews and the topic comes up we'll probably all end up bashing the beer. I've had conversations with Brewtopia before where we both have made "comments" about BMC while drinking some high-end beers, so imagine my suprise in finding out that he will drink a Budweiser on occasion. How did I become more of a "beer snob" (no offense Brewtopia) than the guy who I consider my beer mentor? Other than my interactions with beer drinkers in this forum, I don't run into many BMC drinkers so I don't even have the opportunity to "bash" if I want to.

Speaking of bad beers, I've had quite a few micros lately that were well, the only way I can describe it is "eh". Nothing special at all, and a glass of sweat tea or juice would have been much more satisfying.
Lately I've noticed that I need some REAL flavor in my beers, anything without it just seems mediocre.

I almost started a thread on this topic. For the longest time I considered it my mission to try every microbrew on the market, but I have found out that microbrewers are very capable of making crappy or just average beers. It seems like new breweries are popping up all of the time, and the people running them are just as concerned with making money (vs. quality) as we criticize BMC for. It's like Starbucks on a smaller scale.

I challenge the OP to identify the thread that bashes a BMC product without someone defending it.

That's BMC product... not their business practices.

I can't say I've ever had a micro that was worse than a glass of "sweat tea" or "sweat juice". Not that I've ever actually had this "sweat tea" you speak of, but I can imagine it's just a tea made by steeping sweaty gym clothes in hot water...not something I'd be into.
:fro:

I can't say I've ever had a micro that was worse than a glass of "sweat tea" or "sweat juice". Not that I've ever actually had this "sweat tea" you speak of, but I can imagine it's just a tea made by steeping sweaty gym clothes in hot water...not something I'd be into.
:fro:

hmmm..... Athlete's Foot Ale :confused: nope don't think so

OK, I thought that was Elvis Costello.

I'm almost afraid to admit that I drink a Yuenglin's Lager or ale sometimes, and I like a Coors Light after a long hot day mowing the lawn or bicycling. It has it's place. And when my bother in law tries one of my beers and says he doesn't care for "the darker beers," I will not spend time trying to convince him of the error of his ways. More for me. If someone is in my home, I will offer them my own brews but most people are not adventurous enough to want to try them. So I always have Coors Light, Yeunglin's and maybe DFH-60 on hand also.

I like BMC products occaisionally, I'm drinking a Pabst Tall-boy right now. Is bashing BMC fun? Absolutely, in the right situation!

I will unequivically, under all circumstances, turn down any beer that has the adjective "Light" in the title. It's marketing propaganda that panders to our sick, "anorexic is in" mentality. It never tastes better. If you want a Bud Light, buy some Budweiser and water it down. That way your freinds can still "enjoy" what little flavor Bud has to offer when they come over.

To the OP:

I agree completely that insulting someone's taste is no way to broaden their mind. However, I would find it VERY difficult to compliment their BMC in any way, sitting at a bar in front of a cornicopia of delicious Micros.

I like the Rogue Brewery manifesto on this issue.

BMC = beer like beverage brewed for people who do not like beer.

Micros = Beer for people who enjoy drinking beer.

BMC = beer for people that drink beer to get a buzz or get drunk or to get someone else drunk (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Micros = Beer for people who enjoy the flavor of a good beer (not using the liquid to get drunk or someone else drunk) although that can happen sometimes, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I think we have to realize that there are several uses for beer. If you are drinking beer for the alcohol, you really don't want a lot of flavor getting in the way.
If you are drinking it for the flavor, the alcohol is the least of your concern.

Let people use beer just for the alcohol. Who wants to drink an IPA or Stout after mowing the lawn? Really....

Forrest

I totally support the concept of a low alcohol, crisp refreshing summer beer. I make it myself. Sure, I don't probably don't want a high ABV ale after yardwork, but even some homebrewers seem to have the impression that they can't make a lawnmower beer themselves. Why not?

Hmmm. I went to a friend's house last night and sat around a fire. I drank about eight or ten of his Old Milwaukees. Tasted good to me.

I also love a good micro (of certain styles). There's a time and a place for everything.

I agree completely that insulting someone's taste is no way to broaden their mind. However, I would find it VERY difficult to compliment their BMC in any way, sitting at a bar in front of a cornicopia of delicious Micros.

It's not hard. I just say that because a BMC is so delicate, it's hard for the homebrewer to reproduce (true statement), and that although I can appreciate it (lawn mower beers have their place), I don't brew lagers and prefer ales. All of this is true, and I leave out that I wouldn't want to reproduce it anyway because it's fermented corn water.

I can drink the occasional Miller light, and that's about it from the BMC crowd. I was actually asked a couple days ago what I thought of BMC (forgot who asked) and I thought for a moment and told them this.

"I generally don't like the American lagers. My first try at beer was Bud, and I didn't drink beer again for years after that. They are just not my thing. However, I have *immense* respect for the technical skill and mastery of brewing that goes into brewing consistently at that scale. You basically have to be at the peak of your field to consistently brew BMC."

This immediately piqued their interest, and we got into a conversation about how BMC is so unforgiving of mistakes and variation. That lead to a general discussion of beer styles, and the golden question:

"So what is it about BMC that you like?" or "What *don't* you like in beer?" and suddenly you've gone from critique to their taste profile, and you can suggest styles of beer that will expand their drinking experience, and avoid making them feel bad.

My brew buddy for example, loves Guinness, so I thought he'd have no problem with a standard american amber. Turns out Stout is one exception, and he hates the bitterness of beers. We bottled the irish red today, and his shiver was from the alcohol fumes (significant) but not due to the hops bitterness.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not a hophead, I like my bitter, and I LOVE the aroma of hops. However, IIPAs are just too far out there for me to drink anything more than an ounce or two of at a time.

Everyone has a different taste profile. If you approach beer like a salesman instead of a critic, you'll get them every time. For example, I only call BMC "Pisswasser" (God bless GTA4 for that term) when someone is drinking a guinness and bitching about BMC to begin with. Then we all have a good laugh and move on to the beers we *do* like to drink.

My problem, actually, when people find out I homebrew, isn't that they think I'm a snob. I get a huge amount of people who just spout out like a knee-jerk reflex "can you make me XXX?" where XXX is usually BMC, but sometimes Fat Tire, Guinness, or a few others. If it's BMC I say either "no" to which they act smug, or I say "yes, but it will cost more than a case of Bud, and you'll have to wait 2 months" at which point they point out how futile it is to homebrew and go drink a bud. I prefer the second response. It lets me get back to my life a whole lot quicker.

As a side note, the gimmicks that BMC uses make me laugh. The color changing can is hilarious, and now apparently someone else is doing an extra pull tab off of the mouth of the can so that it can vent while you pour. Because, you know, when you drink BMC, that extra 2.3 seconds you save with a fast pour that doesn't glug is so valuable.

I don't care for BMC, in general, but I understand why some people do. It's easy to drink if you are drinking for refreshment, or want to pound a bunch of it. I don't mind beign called a beer snob, because I believe that I really am. I used to deny it, but no more!

I have learned that if someone asks me what I think of <BMC> I can explain how difficult it is to make at home, and how muhc I like variety and there are dozens of styles I can make at home. Hopefully I can get the discussion around to how there are plenty of beers out there with flavor, that aren't bitter or burnt.

And, I NEVER offer my opinion of BMC unless asked. Don't want to be an EAC.

Ive actually been meaning to start a thread like this. The BMC bashing get so freaking old. I mean its funny SOMETIMES but really its the same thing over and over. Ok fine you make beer beer than AB does. But who is rich as **** and is know worldwide and who is sitting at home typing on there computer trying to look all cool and refined? it just gets old for me too.

I try not to bash BMC, but I do try to inform people that there are many more styles of beer out there to be tried. Most people don't care though... they want non-flavorful beer, and they want it in a 30 pack cube for $11.99. More power to 'em, I guess.

Hey, at least it's cheap!
I've just read the thread you guys have about overated beers, I can't believe how cheap most beers are over there.
Our local BMC type megaswills are $35-40 a case. Coopers is the cheapest decent beer and thats $40-45. Crap over rated beer like heiniken, stella, tuborg is $50, and that's brewed under licence locally. Local micro brewed stuff is $45-$55, **** like corona can be up to $60.
Beer prices here a ridiculous, a quart bottle of wine can be bought for $2, but you'll pay $4 for a 750ml BMC type bland lager.
I give **** to mega lagers whenever I can, I like beer and drink a fair bit of it, but I've been out for a meal and drinks with friends and have not bought a single beer because the pub I was in only served megaswill. I hate it and have to struggle through a pint the few times I've bought one, so I'd rather go without.
I've had HB worse, yes, but I didn't expect anyone to buy it off me, I normally pour it down the sink.

I bash because rice is on the ingredient list. Cutting corners to eliminate flavor, serving "ice cold" to eliminate flavor, these things annoy me. Also advertising that dark beer is hiding flaws is irritating.

That and I don't like the style.

As a card carrying wine drinking wussy, I liken Budweiser to White Zinfandel.

White Zinfandel is wine for people who don't like wine.

Budweiser is for people who want to drink beer without tasting it.

Back