clone to Stone Brewery's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
does anyone out ther have an extract recipe for a clone to Stone Brewery's
Arrogant Bastard Ale

by far that is one of my most favored american brews

after living in 7 different countries and tasting their wares

I do nave to say that the american microbrew is one of the greatest

but please help

thanks

Ok, I'm going from a partial mash recipe converted to Extract. This is the AHS clone.

10.5 lbs Amber LME
1.5 lbs Crystal 120L (Steep at around 155 for half hour or so)

2.5 oz Chinook @ 60
.75 oz Chinook @15
.75 oz Chinook @ 5

Yeast: White Labs California Ale V 051 or Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast
Hope this helps. :mug:

How much water would you add to that brew? What's the final volume? I got that same recipe from Forrest from AHB, but he didn't say how much water to add, so I used 22 litres. my OG was a bit low at 1.055, but I don't know if it is because I diluted the wort too much, or what else may have caused it...

Cheeto1977 said:
does anyone out ther have an extract recipe for a clone to Stone Brewery's
Arrogant Bastard Ale

by far that is one of my most favored american brews

after living in 7 different countries and tasting their wares

I do nave to say that the american microbrew is one of the greatest

but please help

thanks

I have heard that the Brewers Best California Pale Ale is supposed to approximate Arrogant Bastard Ale pretty well. That is what I have going right now (first batch) and looking at the recipe posted, its pretty close to the kit I bought at the LHBS. I improvised and added some more hops in the secondary.

Thoughts so far based on hydrometer test samples... Damn its strong and hoppy! I seem to be stuck at 1.020, same when I racked to secondary and when I tested a week later. When I racked it was almost undrinkable, very strong hop flavor, still very malty. When I tested the other day it was still quite a kick, but mellowing nicely. I am going to (try to) wait another week, maybe 2 before bottling.

First lesson learned in home brewing... be patient. Just so damn hard.

s3n8 said:

It sure is! And it's even harder with a bigger, "harsher" beer like the AB clone! It seems like the chinook takes a little while to smooth out.

The only cure for inpatience is to make another batch! That helps you forget about the first one.

Benny Blanco said:
Shouldn't you add enough water to make it around 20 liters like a normal batch? Did you do a full boil?

A "normal" batch for a complete extract brew here is 21.5 - 23 litres, depending on the instructions on the cans. I punted!

Full 1 hour boil of the water that teh grain was steeped in, with all LME added and the hops, then chilled it and put in fermenter with enough cold water to make 22 litres.

s3n8 said:
Yeah, so true. But it gets much easier once you've built up a cellar of your own beer, which you can drink while you're waiting for your next batch to get done. That really helps. And the other good thing about patience is that compared to some of the other ways of improving your beer (such as buying any of the many kit additions that I hanker after), it's completely free. Yay for free stuff!

I just put that recipe through the BEERSMITH that thing is wild
it is not going to be anything like Stone's AB
1.5 times the ABV
3 times as dark
Insanely "BIG"

WOW!

i made the austin homebrew clone and though it was not spot on Arrogant bastard, it was insanely good. Mine can out not quite as hoppy or dry as the real thing.

A little thicker, maltier and less hoppy. But again, insane!!!

Back