more maltiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
I recently brewed this beer, is the recipe for northern brewer´s Dead ringer. i was very hopy and refreshing but for me It lacks a bit of body and a lot of maltiness, here is the recipe:

11 lbs brewers 2-row(bries)
1 lb caramel 40 (bries)
.75 oz centennial 60 min.
1 oz centennial 20 min.
2 oz Centennial 5 min.
I used Fermentis US-05
1 oz Centennial dry hop 7 days.

I mashed at 150°, fermented at 68°.

I really dont want to change the grain bill, some friends told me to add Munich malt, and some carapils. I want to keep the same grains, since it has a lot of good reviews.
The recipe actualy calls for Pale Ale malt, I used brewers 2-row. Does it make a difference?
I was thinking of adding a diferent yeast like safale s-04, or WLP-005. I read that WLP-005 adds a bit more maltiness.
Also i was thinking of mashing at a higher temp, 156°?

any tips and thoughts?

Some German carahell would enhance the malts a little. also,using a yeast that leans toward the malty side would help as well. I forget the name,but midwest has it in liquid form. There are a few pale ale malts on midwests' site as well. Crisp makes a good one according to them from the best malts produced that year in the UK. It is def supposed to make a difference in quality of malt complexity. I've got some Crisp pale ale malt I'm going to mix with some Marris Otter,also from crisp with Crystal 40L & some carapils & Munton's plain light DME for a NZ IPA. Color will be an orange/amber like my AE APA/IPA in my gallery.
Canuk is right,Raise your mash temp to around 155F to get more color & flavor.

the 05 is pretty dry, and you have to rely more on the mash temp and grain bill imo

using the 05 and your grain bill I'd up the mash temp (154-156), and maybe next time around try the 04. if i switched to the 04 i'd mash 152. i don't have much experience dry hopping (only twice so far), but I'm pretty sure that 1oz centennial will do better for you if you just drop it in at flame out. Otherwise the 1oz dry hop effect may last you a week at best (that's if you are 2 week force carb and dry hopping on the last week before serving).

Try 1272 yeast. It's pretty close to Bell's house strain and will give you a much different result.

Try 1272 yeast. It's pretty close to Bell's house strain and will give you a much different result.

I was just going to add that I don't know what Dead Ringer tastes like, but the 04 will give a little more English ale after taste compared to the 05, and it should add to the maltiness as it doesn't attenuate(?) as high as the 05. 05 is very neutral. It's fun!

Back