Original Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
Could my hydrometer be wrong????? I read all these recipes in books and online which call for, IE 5.5# of LME and a pound of grains with OG's of 1.050.

My standard brew is a brown ale, "working man's brown" I call it. It's 8.5# of Light LME, 1/2# carapils, 3/4 pound of crystal (40L to 60L) and sometimes 1/4 of 120L Crystal. Hops are usually pretty liberal......5-6 ounces of varying types. My OG's almost always come in around 1.054 +/- . Does that sound low? I am taking my readings with wort, pre pitch, cooled to 60F. FG ends up around 1.010 - 1.020. Yeast is 1056 American Ale.

Are other peoples OG's overstated???? What do you think?

Gilbey

Gilbey, are you sure that recipe wasn't calling for DME? 5.5# of DME + a pound of grain will come out around 1.050.

Yes the hydrometer is accurate in water at 60F.

But, Duh, I forgot about the differences between DME and LME.....too many homebrews I think..... :drunk:

Even so, don't you think 8.5# of LME with a pound of specialty grains should register higher than what I am measuring????

Gilbey

Gilbey said:
Even so, don't you think 8.5# of LME with a pound of specialty grains should register higher than what I am measuring????
According to ProMash 8.5# of light LME should give you 1.063, for 5 gallons. 5.5 gals would give you 1.057, and 6 gals would give you 1.052. Are you topping of to 5 gals?

I top off to 5.5 gallons, plus/minus a bit so I can get a full 5 gallons of brew when I keg. So I guess I could actually be closer to 6 G than I thought if I go a little over the 5.5G mark on my primary. So 1.056 or so is about right then.

Thanks for your help!!!

Gilbey

Back