brewing horror stories! share your story!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadbikerjosh

Reaction score
what is the worst brew story you have? better yet what was the best RESCUE story? ill kick it off.

last year i made a dopplebock lager. it was turning out perfect. at the time i only had two or three more weeks of lagering left after the three month ferment proces that i waited thru. also at that time i had a pissed off roomate that i evected for not paying rent. aparantly he thought he was entitled to live in my house and not pay his half of the rent. so he got his revenge by taking my carboy full of lagering dopplebock outside in the dead of winter in northern nevada (when the average high for the day was around 32 degrees F and down to 15-20 at night) and leaving it in the driveway for a week while i was on vacation. i came home to a carboy full of partly frozen beer slushee. thinking to myself "eh screw it, what do i have to lose" i thawed it out and kegged it. tasted great.

morral of the story is, dont toss it till u try it. :mug: please share your story!

There's a sticky thread that shows up during the holiday season on here full of these sort of stories in an attempt to encourage new brewers to RDWHAHB... can't seem to find it though... anyone have the link? Its a pretty fun read.

I had a little leak on the spigot of my bucket that I, at the time, was using for fermenting. It bothered me so I tried to tighten it up a little bit. Big mistake. The threaded part of the spigot cracked and my little leak got real big, real fast. To make matters worse it was a brown ale and my ferm closet in my apartment has white carpet. Big mess all over the place and I still haven't figured out how to get the stains all the way out. I ended up saving it by using Shoe Goo ( http://www.amazon.com/Eclectic-Products-110011-Specialty-Sealant/dp/B000H6EDOG) to seal the spigot into place on the outside of my bucket and stop the leak which actually worked surprisingly well. I saved my beer and vowed to never ferment in a bottling bucket again.

Last edited by a moderator:
your carpet got a nice refreshment! haha but really. that blows.
im kinda new to the website, i didnt know there was a thread already. oh well. try using a rug doctor or some other rental steam cleaner, use a little vinegar in the stain lifting solution. my mother swears by it.

Back