Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this fermenting for an entire month at 68F, and when I just checked it it was at 1.044 still... and I used two entire vials of WLP500...

I whirled it around and left it at 75F. If it doesn't pick back up, what would be recommended to finish it out?

1) Buy another vial of WLP500 and dump it in.

2) Buy another vial, make a big starter, dump that in.

3) Throw a packet of SafAle or something in there.

4) Make a dry yeast starter and toss it in.

I had this fermenting for an entire month at 68F, and when I just checked it it was at 1.044 still... and I used two entire vials of WLP500...

I whirled it around and left it at 75F. If it doesn't pick back up, what would be recommended to finish it out?

1) Buy another vial of WLP500 and dump it in.

2) Buy another vial, make a big starter, dump that in.

3) Throw a packet of SafAle or something in there.

4) Make a dry yeast starter and toss it in.

I just remade this, but all grain. It hit 1.009 (9.9brix) in 7 days from a 1.088OG (21.0125 brix). That was with two vials of WLP500 (no starter, although I recommend a starter)... What I did is, I did a heavy aerate, added nutrient and energizer... Thats it.

For you, try this. Open the Lid, let fresh air get in there. Now put cap back on and tip it back and forth to aerate it. My guess is a weak aerate. If it doesn't take off in a day, then add nutrient and energizer. Don't worry about re adding yeast.

My guess is, you didn't have a good enough aerate. And thats why it didn't take off.

That should do it, keep us updated!

Also, what was your OG?

For you, try this. Open the Lid, let fresh air get in there. Now put cap back on and tip it back and forth to aerate it. My guess is a weak aerate. If it doesn't take off in a day, then add nutrient and energizer. Don't worry about re adding yeast.

My guess is, you didn't have a good enough aerate. And thats why it didn't take off.

That should do it, keep us updated!

Also, what was your OG?

It's done. My original OG was 1.093 (I added a bit of dextrose to boost the ABV). Also had yeast energizer in by the end of the boil, so that shouldn't be the problem. I'll see how it progresses then post an update.

PS. Also it smells (and tastes) delicious.

Yeah, thats a high OG... need a heavy aerate to start of the fermentation with that... But really you need a starter. Yeast starts are the way to go, they are almost error proof.

It's done. My original OG was 1.093 (I added a bit of dextrose to boost the ABV). Also had yeast energizer in by the end of the boil, so that shouldn't be the problem. I'll see how it progresses then post an update.

PS. Also it smells (and tastes) delicious.

I checked up on it 3 days later, and it hasn't fermented any further, but now there is a huge soy sauce flavor and aroma. Could it be oxidized beyond repair? Would I be better off dumping and starting from scratch?

Don't give up on it, go and buy one more vial of WLP 500, get a yeast starter going. Add 2 cups of sugar and 4 cups of water, add the recommended amount of (for your batch size) nutrient and energizer (use both!!!!!). Let it ferment for two to three days then pour off the top and pitch the slury.

My guess is, with that high OG your running into problems without the proper yeast count. Your yeast might have been slightly expired. It happens.

PS, the soy sauce flavor is more then likely from mixing it up. I wouldn't worry about oxidation at this point! Don't give up man, get that to ferment down, then let sit for a few months then bottle or keg! You can never judge a beer in the fermentation process. I have had some crappy beers become mints after sitting on Co2 for 1month+.

Don't give up on it, go and buy one more vial of WLP 500, get a yeast starter going. Add 2 cups of sugar and 4 cups of water, add the recommended amount of (for your batch size) nutrient and energizer (use both!!!!!). Let it ferment for two to three days then pour off the top and pitch the slury.

My guess is, with that high OG your running into problems without the proper yeast count. Your yeast might have been slightly expired. It happens.

PS, the soy sauce flavor is more then likely from mixing it up. I wouldn't worry about oxidation at this point! Don't give up man, get that to ferment down, then let sit for a few months then bottle or keg! You can never judge a beer in the fermentation process. I have had some crappy beers become mints after sitting on Co2 for 1month+.

For the starter, do you mean 2 cups sugar in addition to whatever amount of wort extract, or is the sugar + water + nutrients + yeast the entire starter?

And thanks for the help! I figure I'll give it another $10 recovery effort before starting over.

Sugar or Dry malt extract, doesn't matter, figured sugar would be easier. If you can, do 2 cups of Dry Malt Extract, then 4 cups of water. Should put you around a 1.040 OG, which is perfect for a starter. Boil the 2 cups of DME with the 4 cups of water for 15minutes, put the nutrient and energizer in at the end of the boil, then cool it down and put in a growler with a airlock if you have it. Then simply put in a cool dark place and let sit for 2 to 3 days. Pour off water on top and pitch slurry.

This is going to be my next project... I'm planning on making a yeast starter just to be sure - Should I make a starter with 1 or 2 vials? (since the OP used 2 WLP500 but no starter)

This is going to be my next project... I'm planning on making a yeast starter just to be sure - Should I make a starter with 1 or 2 vials? (since the OP used 2 WLP500 but no starter)

One vial is all you need for a starter.

Just cracked another bottle of this after it sat for a couple of months. This beer is just awesome. Nice job again with the recipe. :mug:

Thanks Lodovico! I have 5 gallon's on the keg right now, can't wait for it to get carb'd up. I also recommend making a quad version of this, just up the grain bill to hit around 10 to 11.5+%.

Anyone have a copy of the AG version I previously posted a link to? I never saved a hard copy of it and it seems the link is now dead.

Anyone have a copy of the AG version I previously posted a link to? I never saved a hard copy of it and it seems the link is now dead.

Yes I do...

It's 12.8lbs Pilsner
1.6lbs Munich Malt (2row)
1.6lbsCandy sugar

1.8oz hallertauer mittelfruh
.4oz styrian goldings
.8 chzech saaz

same yeast

adjust the grain bill to your efficiency and such...

Found it cached on Google :rockin:

Dragonmead Final Absolution Triple Clone

AHA Style 02-C Belgian and French Ale, Tripel
Min OG: 1.060 Max OG: 1.096
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.00
Anticipated OG: 1.094 Plato: 22.49
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 35.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
80.0 12.80 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.071 2
10.0 1.60 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.008 6
10.0 1.60 lbs. Candy Sugar 1.015 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.80 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Whole 4.50 29.7 60 min
0.40 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 3.9 30 min
0.80 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 1.7 3 min

Yeast: White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 14.40
Water Qts: 36.00 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 2.50 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Acid Rest: 0 0 Min
Protein Rest: 140 15 Min
Intermediate Rest: 0 0 Min
Saccharification Rest: 150 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 15 Min
Sparge: 168 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Let me start of by saying, this recipe is simple to make. I converted over to extracts to save on prep time. I wanted something simple that most can make. The Belgian is going to be a clone of a 2006 Gold Medal winner in the World Beer cup in 2006 (Dragonmead Final Absolution). I was lucky enough to get the recipe. I converted the recipe over to LME and DME. I made a few changes to it also. I changed the 60mins hops from Hallertauer Mittelfruh to German Hallertau and used DME amber instead of munich malt. I didn't use a starter either, I opted for using two vials of WLP500 instead (so i wouldn't have to wait). I regret not making a starter though, because It took 24 hours before it took off. I had to stir it up a little bit then it started fermenting instantly.

Let me know what you guys think? I'm dabating on adding another 3.3lbs of Pilsner light LME to get around 10%. But I'm not sure how the the final gravity will end up at. I heard some people with attenuation of around 85%. I figure if i get 77% then this will be 8.2%. The recipe is supposed to be 8.5%. I think I just may leave this alone and see how it comes out then go from there. I will keep everyone updated on how it comes out.

Day 5: It has a very nice smell of a light banana, fruit hints with some spice! WOW, can't wait until this is done!
Day 6: Took hydro reading of 1.020 (thats 8% after 6 days) Smells very good! Has the look and consistancy of a Belgian but it's cloudy (but that's expected), has a very nice yellow color. I'm waiting until day 10 to 14 to rack into secondary.
Day 10: 1.016 gravity, going to give it a few more days before i rack it into the secondary.
Day 16: Reracked into secondary, 1.016 gravity still.
Day 32: Kegged it!!!! same gravity and all I can say is WOWWWWW
Here is a video review of the beer i'm cloning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-FDMgm2Q5w

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:

Hurricane - thinking about brewing this up on Saturday because it looks delicious. What do you think about steeping a pound of Biscuit in there?

Pretty cool I just stumbled back onto this thread. I'm drinking one of these right now. I need to brew it again soon before they are gone. It's tasting great still.

Pretty cool I just stumbled back onto this thread. I'm drinking one of these right now. I need to brew it again soon before they are gone. It's tasting great still.

Lodo - did you steep anything?

Lodo - did you steep anything?

No. I did bump the grain bill slightly and I didn't add the sugar until after fermentation had been underway a few days. I made a big starter and I wanted the yeast to feast on the other fermentables first and not get pooped out on the simple sugar.

I don't know how true it is, but after listening to a Jamil and Palmer podcast they suggested adding cane sugars this way and I went with it. I do feel adding it later in fermentation helps the beer dry out a little better. I was really pleased with the results. I absolutely love this beer.:mug:

No. I did bump the grain bill slightly and I didn't add the sugar until after fermentation had been underway a few days. I made a big starter and I wanted the yeast to feast on the other fermentables first and not get pooped out on the simple sugar.

I don't know how true it is, but after listening to a Jamil and Palmer podcast they suggested adding cane sugars this way and I went with it. I do feel adding it later in fermentation helps the beer dry out a little better. I was really pleased with the results. I absolutely love this beer.:mug:

I have a different theory on that, i added the sugar with the boil. So the sugar would ferment first, then the malt. Leaving the beer sightly maltier. Trust me, if you do a yeast starter, then you will have ZERO problems with this fermenting out! The yeast ferments in almost a violent way. I have a video thats just nuts of the bubbler on the airlock. But... Tomatto tomatoe, right? Kinda splitting hairs on that, I really don't think it makes that big off a difference. My last all grain got down to 1.010 with boiling the sugar, had a OG of 1.090 for a 10.5%abv. It's really just up to experimenting and tweaking.

As for steeping, I didn't steep. But it's up to you, give it a try and see how things go. I'm sure it will be good. But trust me when I say this, the beer needs little tweaking. Although I do prefer the all grain with a slight grain bill increase.

I have a different theory on that, i added the sugar with the boil. So the sugar would ferment first, then the malt. Leaving the beer sightly maltier. Trust me, if you do a yeast starter, then you will have ZERO problems with this fermenting out! The yeast ferments in almost a violent way. I have a video thats just nuts of the bubbler on the airlock. But... Tomatto tomatoe, right? Kinda splitting hairs on that, I really don't think it makes that big off a difference. My last all grain got down to 1.010 with boiling the sugar, had a OG of 1.090 for a 10.5%abv. It's really just up to experimenting and tweaking.

As for steeping, I didn't steep. But it's up to you, give it a try and see how things go. I'm sure it will be good. But trust me when I say this, the beer needs little tweaking. Although I do prefer the all grain with a slight grain bill increase.

I see what you are saying here but after some research, the reason I went the other direction is because I read and heard in that podcast that the yeast will consume the simple sugars first (it's been compared to having filet mignon and hot dogs in the fermenter) the yeast will go after the filet mignon first and it COULD poop out.

I'm sure you're right in this case with a big starter and that amount of sugar it would be fine but it's at least worth thinking about.

I see what you are saying here but after some research, the reason I went the other direction is because I read and heard in that podcast that the yeast will consume the simple sugars first (it's been compared to having filet mignon and hot dogs in the fermenter) the yeast will go after the filet mignon first and it COULD poop out.

I'm sure you're right in this case with a big starter and that amount of sugar it would be fine but it's at least worth thinking about.

Your exactly right about sugar being fermenting first and yeast losing it's punch later. But to achieve a slightly more malty beer, adding the sugar during the boil achieves this by having the sugar ferment first. I guess where i'm going with this is, the whole reason to adding sugar the way I did was for a reason and has purpose behind it. What you describe about sugar being fermented first is exactly what you want. WLP500 is a crazy attentive, so no worries about this dieing out on you if you if you use the proper yeast starter.

Everyone has there preferences though, I'm not saying what you did is wrong, it's just that your technique will produce a drier beer. And to get a clone close to the actual dragonmead final absolution, I recommend adding sugar during the boil so you can achieve a slightly "maltier" beer.

Just brewed this up today (partial mash). Had an OG of 1.06 which I thought was a little low?

Used one vial of the WLP500 with a starter but the starter only had ~ 2hrs so it wasnt a real starter. Think Ill have any problems? Should I pick up another vial?

You should be okay with that low of a OG... How come you came out that low? You really need to research what your doing to get the proper OG. This is where a refractometer comes into play. because you can take a reading while boiling and you know if your done or need to keep boiling...

Yeah I didnt take readings as I went. I did a 60minute boil and should've done a 90 minute.

I used one vial of wlp500 and within 12hrs my airlock was going crazy. Now, there is absolutely no movement. Thoughts?

Yeah I didnt take readings as I went. I did a 60minute boil and should've done a 90 minute.

I used one vial of wlp500 and within 12hrs my airlock was going crazy. Now, there is absolutely no movement. Thoughts?

It's normal for them to ferment out really fast then calm down... get a gravity reading to really know where your sitting right now.

It's normal for them to ferment out really fast then calm down... get a gravity reading to really know where your sitting right now.

Just took a reading and got 1.011. Tasted great and I got a full nose of CO2 when I pulled the lid off the bucket. Its been in primary for less than a week...how long before I bottle?

Just took a reading and got 1.011. Tasted great and I got a full nose of CO2 when I pulled the lid off the bucket. Its been in primary for less than a week...how long before I bottle?

Everyone is different. I would say do 12 to 14 days on the primary, then another 14 on a secondary. then age and bottle when you feel comfortable.

Back