20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not after you add the water and make the stuff. The only way to get flavor out of it is to create unfermentable sugars. Again, I would make the syrup and add it lb for lb. :yes:

Even if that is not perfectly correct it is very unlikely yo will be able to tell the difference. I know I wouldn't be able to.

I tried making this today, got to the 290 F mark, added water to stop boiling but once it solidified, it wasn't smooth, kind of like crystals forming in it. Has this happened to anyone else? Any tips on how to stop this from happening? Attached a pic of the "syrup".

Attachments

• image_55415491.JPG
    image_55415491.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
I tried making this today, got to the 290 F mark, added water to stop boiling but once it solidified, it wasn't smooth, kind of like crystals forming in it. Has this happened to anyone else? Any tips on how to stop this from happening? Attached a pic of the "syrup".
I wouldn't add any water to it, just let it cool down and store it in jars.

If already caramelized sugar gets in contact with crystals, can crystallize. So you need to constantly brush down any crystals on the sides of the pot so they get dissolved

You could have boiled it down again to a syrup but oh well, whatevs. Chunky, sugar crystals, you know yeast don't give a damn about the consistency, they'll ferment it all the same.
I was pretty frustrated and it was turning into a bad brew day, so ill just restart again today. Appreciate the feedback :)

I was pretty frustrated and it was turning into a bad brew day, so ill just restart again today. Appreciate the feedback :)
Sorry to hear that, and sad you tossed it. It's sugar!
There's no need to make sugar syrups on brew day, They can be made beforehand, one evening days, weeks, months even, or days after, and added to the fermenter.

Unless I want to caramelize them somewhat more (e.g., Barleywines, Scottish Ales), I never add sugars to the kettle. They go into the fermenter, pre-diluted with some wort or beer, most often when fermentation has slowed down already. I like them best that way, leaving delicate flavors, preventing yeast from early binging, while keeping her engaged for arguably better attenuation.

Sorry to hear that, and sad you tossed it. It's sugar!
There's no need to make sugar syrups on brew day, They can be made beforehand, one evening days, weeks, months even, or days after, and added to the fermenter.

Unless I want to caramelize them somewhat more (e.g., Barleywines, Scottish Ales), I never add sugars to the kettle. They go into the fermenter, pre-diluted with some wort or beer, most often when fermentation has slowed down already. I like them best that way, leaving delicate flavors, preventing yeast from early binging, while keeping her engaged for arguably better attenuation.
I was trying to make the syrup for the Caramel Amber Ale by KingBrianl but i guess whatever happens it with it today, ill just dump it in and relax :)

Great instructions, I’ve tried it today to the 290F mark and it came out really good. Don’t know how it will come out in my imperial stout recipe but it is promising!
Thanks

Been watching this thread for a couple of years now and finally pulled the trigger and made some Sugar #5 for a Belgian Dark Strong. I used an All-Clad pot which has a really thick bottom. I also put a 1/4" aluminum plate under the pot on the gas stove to further distribute the heat. I had 3 thermometers - one candy thermometer, a Thermapen, and an infared. I found the candy thermometer awkward to use as it was always in the pot and it seemed to lag the other two by 5 - 10 degrees and was difficult to read so I scrapped it and went mainly with the infared and double checked from time to time with the Thermapen. I used fairly low heat throughout the whole process (it took over an hour to get to 290° the first time!) I found it interesting that I started seeing color at about 230° (about like the 260° picture). By the time I got to 290° the syrup was at least as dark as the 300° picture and the flavor was close to the description of the 300°. I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong so I can correct for next time. Any Ideas? I know somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that they just go by color and don't even use a thermometer. Maybe that's the way to go.

Commercial golden syrup and treacle gets left on ambient shelves for years in British homes - the worst that happens to it is that it can crystallise a bit after a few years. From an osmotic point of view it's almost the equivalent of salt.
Thought I'd say this is my most prized version of golden syrup. The tins sometimes rust a little bit but it's great in porridge. Just showing I'm reading the whole thread although have made the mahogany as my first go a few months ago for a dubbel and it was great. Currently need to make a light Candi syrup for a tripel.

Back