Poof.. Blew my Pale Ale Top.. questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBChallenger

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 gallon Pale Ale plastic bucket and I am using an air lock (the type with the little bulb that you fill half way with water). The issue seems to be that the foam and a bit of sediment is coming up through the air lock possibly plugging the little holes in the plastic top of the air lock. It literally blew the entire bucket top off of the Pale Ale. I have a few questions:

1. Is the batch ruined? I immediately put the top back on, washed the air lock and re-sanitzed it and stuck it back on. I am now having the same sort of build up again.

2. What do I do now?

3. Have I done something wrong to cause this? It seems like it is stemming from a very vigorous ferment, is that correct and if so isn't that a good thing in and of itself?

4. If it is a good vigorous ferment how do I keep this from happening with the top?

No your batch isnt ruined. Fermentation took hold so its gonna be tough to ruin your batch now.

Use a blow off tube. If you have the 3 piece airlock, just shove a piece of hose into the top of it and run it down to a gallon jug of water.

Welcome to the club bud!
-Me

I do have the three piece, and after some searching I see I am far from alone and that this actually is a good thing that the fermentation is so vigorous. So I will go out and get myself a good blow off hose. In the mean time I'd like to try your suggestion. Do I take the top off and just stick the hose in there or do i take the bulb out too? A little unsure of the best way to do it. Thanks in advance!!!

BTW, this is my 4th brew and I never got a ferment anywhere near this vigorous!!! :mug:

OK, so I just removed the 3 piece air lock (and of course doused myself in with all kinds of goodies) and stuck my racking tubing (santized of course) into the hole where the 3-piece airlock was before. I then placed the other end of the tube in 3 quarts of water and sanitzer solution. Boy is it really fermenting like crazy.

I have to wonder what we did to make it go so well this time around? I aeriated the beer much more while cooling it and before pitching the yeast this time around. We pitched the yeast as we always have (submersing in warm water and then adding some wort to it, then adding some more worth then pouring in the container). Otherwise everything was all he same.

Some fermentations are just like that, others arent. As Revvy would say 'you are dealing with living organisms'

My theory is, some yeasties want to be gangsta and recruit other yeasties to help them in their cause.
Or, they are angry at the fact that they are asexual and have to hump themselves to reproduce. Therefore they are afflicted with the combination of PMS and low testosterone levels causing them to become aggressive.
Maybe its as simple as your brewing habits have appeased the beer gods and this is their way of letting you know that you have succeeded.

In any case, having to rig a BoT is an exciting thing for the first time!
-Me

I had the same thing happen on my first 5 gallon batch. Made a huge mess in the closet. Just take the top off and the bulb out of the air lock and push the tube over the post in the middle. Run the tube down into a jar of water and let it go. It should only need the blow off tube for a few days, then once the fermentation settles down you can put the air lock back on.

Thanks for the help. Yessir, I have to admit having to rib the BOT was pretty exciting. This will is our 4th batch of beer and I am hoping it is the best. Thus far, each brew has been better than the last.

I had a similar problem last week on my first brew. I came to check on it about 24 hours after it started fermenting and wow that bucket was swollen with krausen coming out the airlock. It was ready to blow. I cleaned out the airlock and replaced it. It bubbled for another 3 days. Now its a week since I started and its all quiet.

Funny to see this because I just had my first major blow off last week. My tubing didn't fit over the peg in the middle of the airlock, so I had to take the whole airlock out and stick the tube into the grommet. Ended up being a perfect fit and all's been well since.

Funny to see this because I just had my first major blow off last week. My tubing didn't fit over the peg in the middle of the airlock, so I had to take the whole airlock out and stick the tube into the grommet. Ended up being a perfect fit and all's been well since.

Yep, I used the exact same solution for the exact same reason. Hopefully with the good ferment this will be some good beer. Hopefully nothing got contaminated.

Back