Brett starter or no starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
I am doing an Orval Trappist clone. my beer has totally fermented in the primary with white labs Trappist yeast. i have been waiting on my brett yeast to come in and now it is here but i am not sure if i should make a starter or pitch it as is.

I have been told that simple sugars can cause brett to loose it's ability to attune as well as it could, but i don't really wanna pitch a small amount of yeast into a beer that already have lots of alcohol.

any suggestions

I am doing an Orval Trappist clone. my beer has totally fermented in the primary with white labs Trappist yeast. i have been waiting on my brett yeast to come in and now it is here but i am not sure if i should make a starter or pitch it as is.

I have been told that simple sugars can cause brett to loose it's ability to attune as well as it could, but i don't really wanna pitch a small amount of yeast into a beer that already have lots of alcohol.

any suggestions

Someone will hopefully add to this, but I really don't think it is an issue to add a small amount. It will grow and do just fine. A starter is not necessary.

I don't know what you mean by simple sugars? I know what they are, but how would they come into play here? You should not use simple sugars in a starter, if that's what your asking.

more referring to sugars that most yeasts can use. guess i worded it wrong

my understanding is that brett gains different characters if it is the only yeast used to ferment a beer. if i made a starter would i not get the character i want from it.

ah i see.

if it is the only yeast then yes the character will be much different. generally with a more sour character and probably funkier too. the starter shouldn't affect the character at this point, but I think it's unnecessary.

treat it like Sach Cervisae. Make a starter and pitch it into the beer. There is enough for 5 gallons though, so you only have to make a liter or two.

Back