possible to over pitch with liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermontFreedom

Reaction score
I have always used dry package yeast thus far, but am a couple of days away from starting my second wild black raspberry port and I have a package of Wyeast's liquid port wine yeast, which is for 5-6 gallons. Because it takes 4-5 hours of picking to get the 7-8 pounds of raspberries, I'm starting with a small 1-gallon batch. Am I going to overpitch if I use the whole packet of liquid port wine yeast?

It's actually very, very difficult to overpitch. The yeast will actually be multiplying and growing for a few hours at least before it starts the ferment. All that will happen is your ferment will be done sooner rather than later.

You could also think of it as a gallon starter for the rest of your must.

Well, I pitched the Wyeast liquid port wine yeast. Proofed it in the package as per directions. Took 48-72 hours to start. Fermentation is moderate to moderately slow--not vigorous at all. Temp is 72-73.

Perhaps I made a mistake in having my berries and 2 C water sit in an airlocked gallon jug with Campden tablet for 2-3 days (not letting the SO2 escape), before pitching the yeast. It's possibly some residual SO2 killed the liquid yeast when I pitched it. Live and learn...

I made a big starter for my Hefe, and the result was a gushing monster krausen that blew out the blow tube. Eventually it settled down and had a good fermentation.

Speaking of, I really need to bottle that sucker.

Back