Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
I've been tinkering with the recipe for this weekend. Still have not nailed down hops and yeast, but what are the thoughts of this recipe? I believe this is a rather standard stout recipe (with the exception of the wheat for head)..... My aim is for it to be a little sweet.... not overwhelming though.

Michael's Stout
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.75
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.52
Anticipated SRM: 40.9
Anticipated IBU: 0.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Garetz

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
71.8 7.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
5.1 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
5.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
2.6 0.25 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
7.7 0.75 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
7.7 0.75 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

I think it looks good, I like to use 1oz Magnum for my bitter hops on my stout, but hey thats just me

I'd replace the wheat with CaraPils (1 lb.) and use Wyeast# 1084 for the recipe as written....er....and the yeast, but also add 1 lb. of lactose sugar if you REALLY want a sweet stout.

I use Kent Goldings hops for bittering and aroma and Cascade for flavor.....there, there are all my secrets.......hopefully they make you happy!

I don't use wheat in my stout. I use .5 lb flaked barley. I use target or NB for bittering and shoot for about 40IBUs. Its a pretty good representation of a dry irish stout.

When I did my last porter, I split my hop schedule down the middle and used 50/50 EKG/fuggles for all the additions. It was really good at bottling, I'll let you know how it is in another week or so.
I'd also ditch the wheat and add some flaked barley. To get that guiness 'tang' you can also buy a couple cans, pour them in a pot with a pinch of ground 2-row and let it sit for a couple days to sour it and add to the boil as desired. This method is easier than souring a portion of the actual beer wort as you can have it ready by brew day. $0.02

More crystal if you want some lingering sweetness, lactose if you want it real sweet. I'd recommend .5-.75 lb.
I think you are fine keeping teh wheat in there. You may also sub it with flaked barley or even flaked oats. It will essentially do the same thing.

Looks like a nice recipe.

Thanks all... going to set up stuff tonight and test out the new chiller. I decided to try a dry yeast this time. This one caught my eye...

Safbrew T-58
A specialty ale yeast selected for its estery, somewhat peppery and spicy flavor. This yeast forms a solid sediment at the end of secondary fermentation, and is therefore widely used for bottle and cask conditioning.

Got a few so I can keep one on hand in the fridge. I got a plastic paddle that will hopefully hold out better then the spoon did in my first AG. I also got this....

Hmmm.... cant seem to paste the picture here.....here is a link

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_34&products_id=885

You attach it to a drill. I was going to get the air stone and was talking to him about the differences. While we were talking a customer came up and told us that "that thing kicks A$$" (the mixer I was holding).... ehh... I'll try it. Seems pretty straight forward you know....

For me, the white labs irish ale yeast is a must for stouts. It makes for a very clean tasting stout.

hungsolo said:
For me, the white labs irish ale yeast is a must for stouts. It makes for a very clean tasting stout.

I used it, but it was done so fast that I thought I had a stuck fermentation. I mean, done and over... like bamm.... I kept thinking that it couldn't be done yet..... got another one and pitched it.... went a little bit but then stoped. It was done. Now it does taste good mind you. But... eh... thought to try something different...

I was going to get some Ph paper and chemicals to change the Ph if I needed to. The guy at the store said I really did not need it. He said that the grains will produce the correct Ph and that I did not need to worry about it. Do you find this to be true?

Back