Car Accident Stories

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My worst car accident was when I was 16. I was driving with a friend out in the country and tried to maneuver around an animal in the road into a little section of gravel. Bad move. The brakes locked up and we went across the road sideways. The driver side bumper went into the ditch first and we started rolling through a field. I remember the first roll esp. when the roof hit the ground very clearly, after that we both blacked out. Landed upside down and crawled out. I remember trying to turn the car off, the CD player was still playing AC/DC, but my hands were too covered in blood to turn the key. We both made it out fairly ok except for cuts from the glass.

Hmm... My worst was hitting a baby moose with my Tahoe. By the time I hit, I was only going 30 or so, but it still totaled the truck! Nothing compared to your wreck, though, Tx

May 1976. 16 years old.

It's Sunday morning and I'm driving my 1969 VW bug back from doing a church "gig" where I played the drums with a high school music group. It's a winding country road on the outskirts of town. The road is nearly empty and quiet and it is beautiful out.

Don't remember what happened but next thing I know I hear a gawd awful crash and look up to see me traveling backwards on the road.

Apparently I just dozed off, crossed the center line and hit an oncoming station wagon nearly head on. For the most part it was a side swipe. Another 4-5 " over and...well...there would be a bit less homebrew in the world today.

Nobody was seriously hurt aside from my cuts and bruises. Oh...and having a complete set of drums fly into the back of your head at 35 miles an hour...ouch.

It took me 10 months of working 30+ hours a week at "Snack Shack" to pay my dad back for the repairs.

My worst was when I was 16 or 17 too. I don't remember where I went to, but it was late at night and I was trying to beat curfew so naturally I was going little faster than normal (ok, much much faster than normal). Someone cut into my lane, I hit the brakes, brakes lock, I lose control and hit the concrete freeway divider. In my mind, everything played out in slow motion. I remember looking back behind me and seeing all traffic had stopped (it was like 2 in the morning and there weren't very many cars on the road but it looked like rush hour traffic). Amazingly enough, I was able to start my car again, back it up, drive it to the nearest offramp which was about a mile. I had initially thought about driving it all the way home (20 miles) but the radiator was definitely busted up and so I just decided to pull off in the ghettoest place. My car (mustang) was totalled but I walked away with only a bruise from the seatbelt.

17 y.o. Driving home from a great day of skiing, having just dropped off my two other friends, the girl in the car with me (just a friend) says "You want a blow job at the park?"... I nearly bust right there... drove through a yellow light about 15 seconds later and plowed into a car.

Needless to say there was no BJ ever after from that girl.

Almost the same thing as Tx.

I was 17, driving my parent's Saab.

Driving home late a night from a friends house and I was blasting "Bulls on Parade" by Rage and two dogs walked across the road. I swerved to avoid them, missed one, got the other. When I tried to correct the swerve, I overcorrected and locked the brakes. The car went sideways into a road sign, which put it into a roll through the ditch at the side of the road.

I remember thinking, while watching the landscape turn over and over through the car window, that this was kind of cool. Car landed upside down and I crawled out, no permanent damage. Car was totalled.

That song still makes me think back in an oddly, fond sort of way.

I was a senior in high school going to drop a friend off after having dropped another one off a few towns away. Going down the main road when a girl tries to take a left onto that road and plows into the passenger side of my VW Rabbit. My car rolls a couple times, comes to rest on the wheels on the other side of the road. No injuries other than my friend having a sore right leg.

The weird part is this: I grew up in a city of about 40,000 people and was in that city, which is one town over from where I went to high school in a class of 62 people. Small, very small. The girl who hit me was a classmate. Shortly after we climbed out of the car and were standing on the side of the road, my girlfriend drove by. Then my dad on his way home from work.

All that struck me as odd.

I was 10 and my dad and my dad was driving us to pick up tackle, on our way to the lake. We came to an intersection that was stopping in one direction. We had the right of way so we went through the intersection around 30mph. Next thing I noticed was my dad yelling and jumping over to brace me. He ended up all the way in the back seat at the end. He was bracing me from the woman blowing the stop sign at 45mph (estimated into 25mph) and broad-siding us. She hit us with enough force to roll our SUV over once and we ended up on our side. I blacked out for a few minutes and woke up with a head contusion and dislocated hip. My dad and the idiot who hit us were ok somehow. Luckily for us, there was an officer approaching the intersection right as she was hitting us! He was our main witness and was able to call for help immediately. I drove through that intersection about a month ago and the tree that was next to the stop sign is now gone. There are also stop signs in all four directions now and the neighborhood in general has more stop signs. All is well that ends well!

May 31, 2008
Waiting at a stop light for my turn when a mini van hit me with about 50, not applying breaks at all. Needless to say car was gone, ambulance ride to the hospital, law suit, etc etc. Worst part ... that daughter of a &^$@&&$%@(#$! didn't even have insurance.

EDIT: pic added
IMG_1353.JPG

Driving to Anchorage from Fairbanks when I was in college about 10 years ago, in a friend's Saturn, when an unexpected snowstorm hit. We rounded a turn and lost traction and flew about 50 ft off the road into a ditch, right side up. No injuries, but we were in a dead area, so we had to hitchhike with some very sketchy looking guys to the nearest gas station, about 15 miles away. Got a tow out of the ditch, and amazingly there wasn't a single scratch on the car (gotta love deep snow and those kickable panels!), so we decided to keep going. But we were so terrified of wrecking again that we never got above 20 mph the whole way (over 300 miles) and got to her dad's place at about 2am, only to discover that the house had been broken into (dad was out of town), power was out, and the house was frozen. Had to drive to the State Trooper station in Palmer, only to find out they were closed for the night!

By the time we got it all dealt with, got the heat and lights on, and boarded up the kicked-in door, we were totally exhausted. We slept for a few hours, then drove to Alyeska and stayed there two nights on her dad's "emergency" credit card, skiing and living it up. It was both the best and worst road trip I've ever been on!

A few years ago, I'm out to lunch when I get a call from SWMBO. I answered and all I could hear was her yelling at the kids, so I thought she bumped the redial button, so I hung up. She calls back in 30 seconds and tells me she's been in an accident. After asking if everyone is OK, I ask about my 2000 Dodge Durango R/T. She says it's not good, so I head on up to where the accident is (5 minutes from my office).

I turns out that she's heading down a state highway at the speed limit (60 MPH) and some 16 year old girl turns right on red in front of her and does not even bother to accelerate. I mean they had eye contact. It had just started to rain, so she hits the brakes and slides on the slick surface and rear ends the gir who was driving an old Jeep Cherokee.

My Durango (man that was a sweet ride).

Durango.jpg

The 16 year old's Jeep.

Jeep.jpg

Luckily everyone walked away from this without a scratch, but it took a month for the kids insurance company to total my Durango.

Rear ended by a dump truck. Gave me a concussion. I couldn't even remember my name. Actually I have to go to court for the SOB on Monday.
Windows-1252BSU1HMDAxMzMuanBn.jpg

I guess it was about 10 or 11 years ago, but me and a friend were on our way to a bar in a chevy blazer, following some friends. We were all stopped at a light and when it changed, our friends went and then I followed them. Then in an excited voice my friend says we are about to be hit. I looked over and saw a car barreling toward the passenger side. I just had time to floor it before he hit right behind the passenger side door. neither one of us had seatbelts on and the blazer was flipped onto the corner right bove my head. I was able to lock myself in by pushing the steering wheel and pressing my back to the seat. I can still vividly remember the blazer spinning an undetermined amount of times while the pavement was inches from my face. I could feel sparks and glass hitting me. when we finally hit the light pole we landed upright. So my buddy is no longer in the passenger seat, and I look in the back seat to see just the lower half of his body inside the vehicle. I grabed his belt, expecting the worst, and pull him back in. His top half was still attached and he gives me this crazy look and then actually hits me and jumps out. It turns out the guy that hit us was wasted nd didnt even know his name. If i didnt know it was coming or had been knocked out, I would have certainly been thrown under the roof. So, wear your seatbelts, and dont drink and drive.

I've been in two roll-overs. The first one, in 1962, my mother was driving the van and we got blown off the road by a semi that passed us at about 30 mph over the limit. Van was totally destroyed, but no injuries because my dad had installed those new-fangled safety belts.

The second, I was about 21. Another vehicle passed me on a blind curve & slapped me off the road when he noticed the oncoming truck. Would have been fine except for the trench across the shoulder. Tried to miss it & did! ...

By performing a barrel-roll over it. Landed on the roof, flipped, stopped upright. Other than some busted glass and cuts, I was ok. Totaled the car (my first new one) and I was digging glass out of my skull for five years.

1st one, I was 18, riding shotgun in a car driven by a 16 or 17 year old. I don't even know who he was. A friend of the girl who owned the car, I think. We were all drunk on a winding country road. I never saw the telephone pole coming. The car actually cut the pole completely down. I woke up hours later in the hospital, in a neck brace, with a state cop standing over me, writing me up for underage drinking. I'm lucky I didn't wake up dead. I went through the windshield.(no seatbelt)

2nd - I was on my way to work one morning in Jan. The temp was hovering around 30. I crested a hill to find a fog bank and a sheet of ice on the road. I also found another car sitting completely sideways in the middle of the road. I hit the back end of the car with the left corner panel of mine, simultaneously hitting the driver of the car, whom I never even saw, standing on the side of the road, and proceeded to run, dead center into the butt end of a guard rail, hard enough to break both motor mounts and the trans mount. I was ok but the other guy was hurt pretty bad. My 67 Chevelle was totaled.

I spend all day adjusting claims and then you guys start this. I have only had a few fender benders. Nothing on the level as the other posts.

Had one somewhat similar to Tx's, but I was racing. Went to pass my buddy's girlfriend, her truck got loose and I hit the brakes, left rear drum stuck, and I was doing about 90. went into the bar ditch, through a barbwire fence, then started flipping across the field. I remember every 1/10 of a second of that wreck, and what was going through my mind. I walked away with a mild concussion, some glass cuts, and black bruises from the seat belt. My buddy only had his lap belt attached. He had to be cut out of the car, had a serious facial laceration, and was helicoptered out. He walked out of the hospital 3 hours later.
Oh and I bunt my leg on the exhaust pipe (look at the pix) exhaust pipes arent supposed to be there!
chev1.jpg

che2.jpg

I've been lucky. Knock on wood. One minor fender-bender, that's it.

BUT I was nearly in a wreck weekend before last. Was on I-29 heading south into Kansas City, probably 10 miles out still. It's raining like a sh1tstorm, and there's construction ahead, so traffic is at a standstill. I see this immediately after coming around a corner, but it's no big deal, I have plenty of room to stop, even though my SUV's pretty heavy.

Gradually coming to a stop in the Left lane.... left lane has about 8 less cars than the right one... all of a sudden, the lady in the right lane pulls into mine, and craaaaawls forward, barely even accelerates, just rolls forward. This is no good for me, because I was still slowing down, and needed that room. Locked the brakes and started heading to the ditch.

So did the semi behind me. Locked his wheels, went to take out the wire fence in the median.... but he misses me by a foot or two, and starts to pull back onto the road, as do I.

A few feet further forward, I check the rearview, and notice - behind the semi's trailer - what USED to be a '80s Cadillac, but now is about 3/4 of one.

The semi kept on driving, didn't see the folks behind them... another trucker got out and flagged 'em down....

Had I not started to take the ditch in the first place, though, it might've been my back half of my Mountaineer that was gone. :eek:

This doesnt compare to anyone here but...

It was a beautiful April day of this year. It was about 1:30pm and I just got off work. I was leaving the base and just got out of the gate and was stopped at the red light outside of the gate. What is this on the floor in front of the passengers seat? A bag of gummy coke bottles I had been snacking on last night? Hmmm, this day has been awesome so far, why not keep it going with a piece of my favorite candy. Just as I reach down to grab them I see the truck in front of me start moving, so I hit the gas, let off the clutch and Bam! Honda Civics suck. I hit this guy going less then 5 mph and it cost over $3000 to fix my car. Stupid fricking gummy coke bottles ruined my day...

11:30 on a saturday night I was riding my bike light rain had moved in and I was going around a turn hit a Raccoon dead on, not just any Raccoon but one the size of a bear cub. I remember saying this isn't going to be good to myself bike went down and I slide with it about 35 feet I managed to free myself from the now spark flying grinder. I then see it hit the guardrail and spin a few times I stopped just shy of the rail. I get up not really in pain just pissed till I reach for my cell phone that was hooked to my belt I then feel the warmth of the blood coming from my side. I was severely road rashed from hip down the fleshy side on my arse to the rear of my left knee . I realised that the jeans I had on were now just tattered bits cloth and I was bare butted . My leather jacket did what it was suppose to. Since I was going rather slow the beanie I was wearing work well just some light scratches.I guess its because i balled up when I went down that my head never hit the ground

The cleaning of the rash was the worst thing I have ever gone through.I had to soak in hot water tub with iodine and had to scrub it with brush to remove the gravel and dirt and dead skin. I now have a rather unusual tattoo on my left check and thigh that is a bunch of swirled lines as the fresh blacktop oil is forever embedded under the skin. And 6 years latter I still get some little bits of gravel that come to the surface. I have gotten pretty good with a razor to remove them.

Bike was 3 months old and it took 9 k to fix but its still going strong

Back