Looking for specific yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patthebrewer

Reaction score
Okay folks trying do something new with my Pre-Prohibition lager. Anyone know where I can find the Wallerstein strain that F&M Schaefer used to use. I think I've heard that Brooklyn Brewery uses it for their Brooklyn Lager. But someones gotta produce it right?? I meant I suppose I could try to isolate it from a bottle dregs....I've done it before but with limited success.

Yeah I'd do that but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to divulge, what to them might be a trade secret.

patthebrewer said:
Yeah I'd do that but I'm not sure if they'd be willing to divulge, what to them might be a trade secret.

Yes, but you don't know until you ask.

A Pro-Brewer Customer of mine suggested that wyeast 2035 he thinks is a descendant of the F&M Schaefer strain.....also I did try to contact Brooklyn Brewery, so far they haven't replied.

I know that this thread is old, but the mostly widely used strain on the East Coast and in the Midwest before Prohibition was the Christian Schmidt strain. A descendent of that strain is available from Wyeast as Wyeast 2272 North American Lager. Wyeast 2035 is a Midwestern descendent of the Christian Schmidt strain.

Wallerstein was a brewing research laboratory in New York that also had a culture collection; hence, there are many Wallerstein strains. Mark Carpenter, the head brewer at Anchor, recently stated that Anchor acquired their current strain in 1974. It's an old Wallerstein strain, which adds credence to the theory that Anchor's yeast is derived from the Christian Schmidt strain. The Christian Schmidt strain was definitely in the Wallerstein culture collection.

Back