Second Growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
So this is my second year growing these cascade hops. I have not paid as much attention to them this year as I did last year. Also, I feel like they were shocked into sprouting up early as we had some very hot weather for a bit and then it got cold again. I forget when this was, but anyway, they do not appear to be doing to well. The top part got a bit burned as I did have it propped up on the roof temporarily as we moved into a new house. So I have about 4 cones growing and the rest of the leaves just look a yellowish green. However, there are some new shoots coming up from the dirt. Do I cut down my current bines, take a loss and hope those second shoots get going? Or just call this season a loss? (Sorry about the sideways photos, I don't know what is going on there)

photo-3-56128.jpg

photo-2-56127.jpg

photo-1-56126.jpg

photo-56125.jpg

I'd just let it grow to help out the roots. But, if that is all they are on year two, methinks you need to give them a lot more water and nutrients...that is what mine looked like in June of their first.

Since the new leaves are green and the old ones are yellow, I'm thinking a nitrogen deficiency. Hops need a great deal of it while growing.

In any case, it's too late to worry about cones this year. Don't cut anything off. As mentioned, the leaves will supply energy to the roots for a better start next year.

Okay. I will just scrap up this season as a loss and leave them be. So does that mean I didn't fertilize them enough? I am hoping next season I will be able to put them into the ground!

well for one what size container is that(looks uber small in the pic)? I dont container grow so im no expert there, however i believer container size plays a big part in it all. 2 small is as bad as not enough nutes. I dont remember where i read it but i think you can get a soil test kit for like $10-15 that will always keep you in the loop for what your soil needs. I think that this year is a wash, let em roll a bit longer then at the typical "1st killer frost time" cut em back and plan for next season(used the "" for the frost as i do not know if you get it there, here it is between end of sept and begining of nov)

Back