Do you clean brand new bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle in brand new 500ml german wheat beer bottles. They're fresh out of the box and sparkling clean. Do you just sanitize, or give them a rinse too? It's not like they're my bottles that I keep recycling over and over, so I figured I'd ask.

If the box was closed and all, I usually just sanitize. If they've been out in the open, then I'll oxyclean and sanitize. I picked up the last 3/4's of a box and I'll be oxying them since I don't know how long they've been out, or who've touched them, or what's crawled or flow in before.

Agreed. If you have some oxyclean, might as well take the few minutes to clean them anyways. If you don't have any around the house, hot water and sanitizer should be just fine.

I just gave them a quick rinse with my Jetwash and then sanitized. They really were spotless and probably didn't need anything, but just better off to give them a quick cleaning. I hate bottling so much. Can't wait until the day I move to a house from my NYC apartment so I can keg. My fiance won't allow one more fridge in the apartment....one wine fridge and one fermentation chamber is all I'm allowed to have!

I just gave them a quick rinse with my Jetwash and then sanitized. They really were spotless and probably didn't need anything, but just better off to give them a quick cleaning. I hate bottling so much. Can't wait until the day I move to a house from my NYC apartment so I can keg. My fiance won't allow one more fridge in the apartment....one wine fridge and one fermentation chamber is all I'm allowed to have!

Combine the fermentation chamber and the wine fridge, and use the other one for kegs :)

Latest posts

Back