Water analysis - town doesn't test (southern RI)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Reaction score
I just went to the water department for my town and asked them for the following:

calcium
magnesium
bicarbonate
sodium
chloride
sulfate
pH

They said they didnt test for these things. They did test for ClO2 and chlorites but thats the closest thing. My town's consumer cofidence report is here: http://www.cityofnewport.com/4642.aspx Do they not have to test these things? I found that extremely surprising. (Any one else in RI have this problem?) the only thing he could say about the water is that its not very good, they treat it to make magnesium drop out (didnt say precipitate) and the pH is about 8.3.

edit: how do they know to treat for magnesium if they dont test for it.........

If the EPA doesnt require the testing of these things then why do so many other towns test for it (I am assuming based on the other reports that i have seen people have).

Just a little frustrated, thanks for any help.

Maybe the person you spoke to didn't know how to obtain the report in the first place.

My water quality report states the following, "In order to ensure that tap water is safe to drink, the U.S. EPA and the State Department of Health Services (Department) prescribe regulations that limit the amount of certain substances in water provided by public water systems."

My suggestion is to try to obtain the report from the EPA or SDoHS; or ask them where to get it.

The EPA's Safe Drinking Water Hotline is (800)426-4791.

Keep us updated!

rew said:
Maybe the person you spoke to didn't know how to obtain the report in the first place.

My water quality report states the following, "In order to ensure that tap water is safe to drink, the U.S. EPA and the State Department of Health Services (Department) prescribe regulations that limit the amount of certain substances in water provided by public water systems."

My suggestion is to try to obtain the report from the EPA or SDoHS; or ask them where to get it.

The EPA's Safe Drinking Water Hotline is (800)426-4791.

Keep us updated!

That's a great suggestion. And be sure to tell the EPA that your town has admitted that it does not test for these things. Either that, or they do test but are witholding the information from the public. That is sure to get a response from the EPA!

Yeah, I contacted my water department up here in NE Vermont and they thought I was nuts for asking.

They sent me the annual report but it only lists contaminant levels like arsenic, and other type nasties. They could not even tell me pH or hardness levels.

Most places only test for the items they are required to check by law. Things we care about as brewers aren't considered problems, except chlorine & such. They may actually be checking minerals, like calcium, but they would not be required to report them unless the levels were really high.

I have the same problem in Ohio. Local municipality only checks and reports on contaminants. They sounded like they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about mineral content. Surprised me too.

Does anyone know of any kits you can buy to test it yourself? Most of what I've seen available don't test for the minerals a brewer is interested in.

SP

knights of Gambrinus said:
Yeah, I contacted my water department up here in NE Vermont and they thought I was nuts for asking.

They sent me the annual report but it only lists contaminant levels like arsenic, and other type nasties. They could not even tell me pH or hardness levels.

I'm in the same boat. I wonder how much it would cost to send in a sample to a lab, and if that would even be viable?

I'm pretty lucky in my town. I sent an e-mail requesting the levels in my water and a technician responded with all the information I asked for and more. He even told me the water sources they use and that in the peak usage times they use a deep well for backup and the levels will vary.

How much do mineral levels vary over the course of a year? Will there be material variations in mineral content during the spring (all the snowmelt) versus the middle of the summer, for example?

Well looking at the consumer confidence report, sodium ranges from 16-65 ppm in the past 3 years. we have surface water, from a combination of about 6-10 ponds, so i am sure that the change is fairly drastic. The largest pond is also right next to the beach so I'm sure there is a huge range.

how do other people deal with changing water quality?

I saw the DIY water filter in BYO, has anyone tried that? does it remove anythign besides chlorine?

I contacted ward and will be analyzing my water that way. thanks for the advise.

I just tried to find my towns water report and couldn't on the town utilities website but I started looking into the county and they had it listed there. that might be one place for you to check out. I am sure that someone tests for all that. I live in a tiny town in indiana and they do, so I could only imagine that any decent sized water company would. I just web searched for "-insert town name- water quality report" and it was the first thing that came up.

Cheers

madison sends out annual water quality report, but like other posters here it doesn't show much about mineral content and other such affiliated items important to brewers.

Is 335ppm calcium carbonate levels considered hard water?

Kaiser said:
Hey Wayne,

Did they kick you off the Brewing Network board ? ;)
Nice to have you here.

Kai

We found him on chat one night and forced him to come on over here... :D

If you see this, Wayne, good having you around - you clearly know your stuff, it's always nice to have an expert around to offset tools like me...

jammer said:
I saw the DIY water filter in BYO, has anyone tried that? does it remove anythign besides chlorine?

I have the filter and will send off two samples of my local water, one filtered one not. And when I get the results will post them.

Willsellout said:
I ordered my testing supplies today from them. For 15 bucks it's worth it I think.

Dan

You can order testing supplies? I thought you are just supposed to send them a pint of water? I'm trying to figure how this process works, thanks for the links guys!

Pabst Blue Robot said:
You can order testing supplies? I thought you are just supposed to send them a pint of water? I'm trying to figure how this process works, thanks for the links guys!
yeah on their website you can order supplies for free.

Dan

Pabst Blue Robot said:
Do you have a link? I can't seem to find anywhere to order supplies. Thanks!

Nate
Sure thing Nate, Go to their home page and do this: About us----->General Info and halfway down there is a clickable link for sampling supplies. You give them your info and put what you want and submit it.

Dan

Willsellout said:
Sure thing Nate, Go to their home page and do this: About us----->General Info and halfway down there is a clickable link for sampling supplies. You give them your info and put what you want and submit it.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I ordered a water sample container, a box, and a return label. I assume I will pay the freight with the $15 processing fee however they bill that. This is great, I've been wondering about my water for a long time.

I emailed Dr. Ward of ward lab and he said to just send a clean water bottle 8oz or more, not in cooler or anything. make sure its overnight and they would just send you an invoice and your results when they are done with the testing.

Maybe you need the testing supplies for the more volitile chemicals that break down, VOCs i believe. (im just guessing)

Anyone have any more info about the BYO, DIY water filter? what does it take out of the water?

jammer said:
Well looking at the consumer confidence report, sodium ranges from 16-65 ppm in the past 3 years. we have surface water, from a combination of about 6-10 ponds, so i am sure that the change is fairly drastic. The largest pond is also right next to the beach so I'm sure there is a huge range.

Typically most surface water in the Northeast will be fairly soft. Sodium content will vary especially with winter runoff from salted highways but within a range of 16-65ppm you're OK. Sodium isn't of much inportance in mashing as long as the levels are low. Here is the analysis for the Providence water supply from the Scituate Reservoir. http://http://www.provwater.com/water_char.htm

While it won't be exactly the same as your supply the basic mineral content should be in the same ballpark.

Back