Burnt/Fruit Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avidhomebrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a burnt mead, then added fruit in the secondary? I'm thinking of doing a burnt mead over propane (don't have the means to do it over wood), let it ferment out with Wyeast 4783, after a starter, then add pineapple concentrate in secondary. Thoughts?

I've not yet made or tasted a bochet, but I've heard it described as very caramelly, and a lot of people liken the aroma to roasted marshmallows...sounds like that would go awesome with fruit!

Interesting idea, I think it might end up tasting sort of like pineapple upsidedown cake. The cake gets the caramelly taste from the brown sugar & of course the pineapple from the pineapple. Might be pretty tasty. If you decide to try this, keep us posted on your progress, I'm curious to see how this turns out. Regards, GF.

I made the burnt portion of the mead today. I boiled 10# of clover honey for about 15 minutes and added it to 2.5 gallons of cold water. I figured I could always crank up the boil time later, if I liked the flavor of this. It tasted much different than 'unboiled' honey; it didn't seem quite as sweet. I figure I'll add the pineapple (3 frozen concentrates) later on, after the initial ferment is done.

More to come....

Have you ever used pineapple in a fermented beverage? If not I would not use it on the whole batch but split it up in one gallon containers and try different types of fruit. You can usually find the containers very cheap.

Have you ever used pineapple in a fermented beverage? If not I would not use it on the whole batch but split it up in one gallon containers and try different types of fruit. You can usually find the containers very cheap.

I used pineapple juice in my very first mead, along with pomegranate/ a bit of blueberry and orange.

granted the pineapple was just an afterthought but the mead was delicious and there weren't any off flavors.

Have you ever used pineapple in a fermented beverage? If not I would not use it on the whole batch

What has been your experience using pineapple? I just started a pineapple/ coconut melomel... 2.5gal 100% pineapple juice and 3/4 gal OB honey. Primary is done and it is sitting on the toasted coconut, so Im curious what Im in for.

I just started a pineapple/ coconut melomel... 2.5gal 100% pineapple juice and 3/4 gal OB honey. Primary is done and it is sitting on the toasted coconut

This is interesting...you'll have to post how it turns out...coconut in a mead isn't something I've heard of or considered before. I brewed a coconut porter once, and it was good, if not a little weird. It's tough brewing with coconut because of the oils...especially in beer...it gives a bit of a strange mouthfeel, and there's zero head retention, but it did taste pretty good...

This is interesting...you'll have to post how it turns out...coconut in a mead isn't something I've heard of or considered before.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elybhk-ptuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]B.Nektar[/ame]
This sounded pretty good. But this is only my 2nd round of meads, so Im still in the learning phase...

Sorry for threadjacking.

Back