How much Oxyclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
How rude of them not to put the suggested amount for a keg on the back! It didnt come with a scoop either :confused: How many cups would you suggest for first time soaking a 5 gallon corny?

Did I read that right...a 1/4 cup PER gallon? WOW! I probably don't use that much for a corny or 6 gallon carboy. Maybe 3 or 4 tbl spoons tops has always worked well for me. A little goes a long way.

Do folks use oxyclean with metal? Don't know where I got this idea, but I thought it wasn't a good combination. I just use water and a little dish shop on metal.

Do folks use oxyclean with metal? Don't know where I got this idea, but I thought it wasn't a good combination. I just use water and a little dish shop on metal.

Everything i have read and watched on Youtube all use Oxyclean. I havent used it for anything in the past had to go to two stores to find the Oxyclean free without all the additives.

You maybe thinking bleach ? I know that is a no no with metal.

Intrested to see how much everyone uses. I went with the 1/4 cup. Its first clean and it stinks of Mountain Dew so more might be better in this case.

Everything i have read and watched on Youtube all use Oxyclean. I havent used it for anything in the past had to go to two stores to find the Oxyclean free without all the additives.

You maybe thinking bleach ? I know that is a no no with metal.

I believe the oxiclean labe says not to soak metals (it doesn't say why though).

and yes, it's oxiclean, not oxyclean...

I believe the oxiclean labe says not to soak metals (it doesn't say why though).

and yes, it's oxiclean, not oxyclean...

Sure enough... Have it right here "Metals must not be soaked and must be rinsed immediately and thoroughly."

Now i wonder if i should let it soak overnight.... I can't count how many threads i have read where people say just soak it in oxIclean.

I always soak my kegs with oxi. Typically for an hour or so (seems to do the job by then) but from time to time they get left for a day or two. Never had an issue.

i was watching a youtube video about using oxi clean (UNSCENTED) and he reccomended 3 scoops of whatever it comes with for a scooper... Not sure the amount, I did that with my new courney kegs and they shined right up! I even dumped in the lids and top fittings (cleaned those really good also). I left them overnight rinsed them out 3 times (2 times hot water and the last with cold). Next I need to clean my glass carboys and will probably use a little less maybe 1 1/2 or 2 scoops.

Back