Last Call- Any interest in a UP brewday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few Yoopers hanging around, and I wanted to see if any of you wanted to get together for a brewday? We could brew in town, or out at my cottage on a lake. I definitely have more stuff in town, but the lake would be more fun if we wanted to have families and go for some pontoon boat rides.

Cheeseheads and Trolls are welcome, too.

My wife and I would love to drive up there. The cottage idea sounds like a lot of fun. Not sure if I would brew, but I could bring a keg or two up with us along with some food.

I have no dates in mind- but June is packed full for me (because of the National Homebrew Conference, and a Canada fishing trip) so anytime after July 5 would be ok for me.

My daughter is going to MTU for some summer courses, but I don't know the details yet. If we can work it out, I'm sure my wife and I would love to come up for a brewday! (Well, more like I'd love to come up for a brewday and she would go along).

She wanted to see about making the trip some sort of vacation thing anyway.

My daughter is going to MTU for some summer courses, but I don't know the details yet. If we can work it out, I'm sure my wife and I would love to come up for a brewday! (Well, more like I'd love to come up for a brewday and she would go along).

She wanted to see about making the trip some sort of vacation thing anyway.

I already told you that you're invited! You guys can stay at the cottage, to save on a motel. We're about 1.5 hours from MTU. We can incorporate it into a brewday, or just hang out at the lake and drink a couple of beers.

I'm interested........Hafta coordinate with my kidless weekends though

You could bring the boys. I won't bite them, and I'll take them fishing..............

Edit- and bring your Golden, since Toby needs a friend, too.

Dogs, kids, spouses, etc all welcome.

I'll provide non-motorized water craft, like kayaks and a paddle boat. If I stay sober, I'll give pontoon rides. Or ask Bob to do it.

Maybe I can talk the wife into pulling the camper up. Wouldn't brew but would bring a keg. Staying tuned for a date, but don't plan around me.
Maybe instead of everyone brewing, if someone has a large scale system close by they'd be willing to drag out, we could all just bring a fermenter and do a large batch.

You could bring the boys. I won't bite them, and I'll take them fishing..............

Edit- and bring your Golden, since Toby needs a friend, too.

Dogs, kids, spouses, etc all welcome.

I'll provide non-motorized water craft, like kayaks and a paddle boat. If I stay sober, I'll give pontoon rides. Or ask Bob to do it.

I would bring the boys for a visit, but not a brewday. They are not interested in that. The dog is coming, though!

The only thing that can affect July is my daughter. Her baby is due July 23, but you never know.

Otherwise, I'm open to any time. The only brewers I know of in the area are lschiavo and myself. We're both all electric, so hauling it out there isn't an option. I have my old stuff, but it maxes out at 10 gallons. There are a couple of guys about an hour away, newer brewers, and maybe they'd like to brew (and haul their stuff or use mine) and some of us "old timers" could provide hands-on assistance? Just a thought, without having some travelers hauling stuff. I'll send them a PM so they are aware.

Homer, let us know when you're coming up this way, and Bernie, Xiang, and IP and I can also come up with some good days. Chicken, you can come anytime you can make it!

I'm in Gladstone. I've got a family get-together planned at camp for the Negaunee Pioneer Days (July 10?); but other than that, I would be very interested depending on my schedule.

I'm in Gladstone. I've got a family get-together planned at camp for the Negaunee Pioneer Days (July 10?); but other than that, I would be very interested depending on my schedule.

Perfect! We have room at the cottage, but there is space for camping, too, if that's your thing.

Let's brainstorm a couple of dates.

July is pretty open for me. I can't think of anything offhand that would prevent me from coming along. I don't know if I'll have the confidence to brew in front of you veterans, but I'd like to be there to assist and learn from you guys.

Yeah, I'm definitely mentioning this to the wife, and we'll see what happens. Like I said, I know nothing about my daughter's MTU thing except I *think* it's for 2 weeks now, and my wife said something about making a sort of vacation out of going up there.

If it doesn't work out for the brewday, then I'm pretty sure we can at least meet up for a few beers somewhere. However, a brewday on the lake sounds like a blast!

Yooper, I'd be interested in a brew day, or at least a showing up to a brew day. About a 45 min drive, so not too far away. Always looking forward to meeting UP brewers. From here, just met lschiavo so far.

My daughter is going to MTU the week of July 11-17. I should be able to meet up at least one of the weekend days, or weekday adjacent to the weekend. I won't be taking the whole week off, but probably a day or two.

My daughter is going to MTU the week of July 11-17. I should be able to meet up at least one of the weekend days, or weekday adjacent to the weekend. I won't be taking the whole week off, but probably a day or two.

That sounds great!!!!!!! Let me know which day you think will work for you, and we'll coordinate as best as we can. I assume your wife will come? I'm looking forward to meeting her. You guys can stay here, if you'd like. It's not fancy, but you should be very comfortable here.

I might be interested in coming...I don't know if my husband could come or not, but I would like to.

I hosted the May 1 Michigan Predators brew day--it was my first outdoor brew day I've attended, and I gotta say, brew parties rock!

Yooper, I'd be interested in a brew day, or at least a showing up to a brew day. About a 45 min drive, so not too far away. Always looking forward to meeting UP brewers. From here, just met lschiavo so far.

You're from Iron Mountain? That's where I live too.

I'll work out the dates with the woman. She is not a very social person, but she is nice and isn't awkward or anything, just enjoys being home. I had planned on talking her into packing a tent in the car and camping out a night or two while we are up there anyway.

What town are you near? I'll look on teh map and check routes and such.

I'll work out the dates with the woman. She is not a very social person, but she is nice and isn't awkward or anything, just enjoys being home. I had planned on talking her into packing a tent in the car and camping out a night or two while we are up there anyway.

What town are you near? I'll look on teh map and check routes and such.

I'm in Iron River, and my cottage at the lake is about 10 miles west of Iron River on US 2. It's an easy drive to Houghton from there- up 45 North and then to 26(?) I believe. Funny story- my husband's cousin drove his son to Tech, and then was going to stay here overnight. I gave him driving directions from Tech to the cottage and figured it'd take him about an hour and a half, with his 8 year old and brand new baby. Three hours later, he still wasn't here.

Hmmmm. He finally showed up hours later at the McDonald's in Iron River. I asked him if he was ok, but he was a bit sheepish.

Well, he punched our address in his GPS. Apparently, his TomTom only recognized two "real" roads in the whole UP and it took him through Marquette before bringing him south back to US 2. He got a tour of the whole UP courtesy of his TomTom!

Anyway, we are right off of US 2.

Oh, by the way, brewing would be ok. But the water at the cottage is from a well, and it's not very good. So, we'd have to haul brewing water out there, too. That's why I suggested maybe one or two brewers brewing, and others advising (and drinking). I really don't care how many brew, as long as you bring all of your stuff!

I can provide one complete AG set up, two propane burners, immersion chiller, hose, and all the cold water you need from the well.

I have a 10 gallon MLT, a 5 gallon MLT, and misc stuff, that I can bring from home.

I probably won't brew, since I'd like to be able to show everybody around.

I really hope this happens- all are welcome!

Homer- you're welcome to stay at the cottage, or pitch a tent down by the lake if you'd rather. There are also quite a few campgrounds within 15 miles of my place- one is just about 2 miles away at Golden Lake.

I have a camper with a queen bed, a bunkhouse with one couch, and the cottage with a loft. Up in the loft is a double bed, and a couple of single beds. There is also a pull-out couch in the living room. So, for a couple, you could have the upstairs if you want or the camper.

I'm not sure about brewing yet. I want to, but I don't know if we are taking our dogs (I doubt it) or what we will need to pack. Water should be no problem. I could always bring RO water and add to it if need be. Also, I think (hope) I could help anyone else adjust their water if necessary. I think you've got a good handle it as well, and we could bounce ideas off each other.

****. Checked my calendar. Have something going every weekend in July AND
August. I could bring the kids, but it wouldn't be worth the compalining......

We get a date set yet? Looks like July 10th, 17th and 31st are open for us. It won't be a brew day if nobody is going to brew. I guess I could haul up some gear, carbon filtered water, food and a keg to the cottage. If anyone wants to pair up with me and brew a 10gal batch of something, just send a pm and we can figure out what to brew.

Only problem with July 17th is that I think we'll have to be in Houghton that day to get Kim. Yeah, I better find out exactly when we have to pick her up. Might be able to drive up on Friday and get her, then stay the night up there.

The 10th would be better, but I might be able to swing the 17th if everything works out.

I am hoping to be able to bring my stuff and brew.

ok, at this point, July 10th looks like the day!

(Back up can be July 17th).

Anybody have any strong preferences? I have a cottage, and a house in town so we can sleep however many want to come. If you're bringing your own camper, there is room at the cottage. Kayaks, paddle boat, canoe, etc will be provided.

I can bring one full AG set up with two propane burners. I can provide an immersion wort chiller and well water for chilling. I can bring a barley crusher, and various other things upon request!

Who wants to brew, and who wants to fish/pontoon boat ride/drink?

I can provide a trashcan kegerator and co2 tanks for my own beer, and whoever else wants to share a keg.

I will provide brats and buns, cold drinks, coffee, etc. There will be a gas grill, plus a firepit for marshmellows.

Give me a head count, so we can start planning!

I hope all of you "possibles" can make it. I'd love it!

My wife and I plan on coming up. We are thinking of heading up on July 9th so we can visit Short's Brewpub on Friday night. Maybe some of us troll's can meet there the night before?

I plan on cramming the car full with most of my brewing gear, a keg of something and enough water for a 10gal - 15gal batch. Like I posted earlier, if somebody doesn't want to haul all of their gear, we can just brew together and split the batch.

My wife and I plan on coming up. We are thinking of heading up on July 9th so we can visit Short's Brewpub on Friday night. Maybe some of us troll's can meet there the night before?

I plan on cramming the car full with most of my brewing gear, a keg of something and enough water for a 10gal - 15gal batch. Like I posted earlier, if somebody doesn't want to haul all of their gear, we can just brew together and split the batch.

I just sent an email to the wife about going up. I was thinking going up the 9th and coming back the 12th or maybe later morning afternoon the 11th. (depending on how I feel after the day of drinking) :drunk:
I would be bringing a tent and camping out. Not going to bring my gear (don't have a truck to haul it) but I'll bring some food and beer.

Awsum! The 10th would really be much better for us. Now to plan on what to bring and what not to bring (camper vs. tent, brewing vs. not brewing, etc.)

I'm all for bringing a tent and "roughing it" for a day or two and driving back up next weekend to pick up the kid.

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to it. The "locals" can either stay or drive home, whichever they prefer.

We'll figure everything out for sure (dates, times, evening plans) as more people RSVP, but you can come whenever you'd like. If you like tenting, that's cool, but we can definitely make room in the camper and/or cottage if you're more into a real bed!

Wonderful! I'm looking forward to it. The "locals" can either stay or drive home, whichever they prefer.

We'll figure everything out for sure (dates, times, evening plans) as more people RSVP, but you can come whenever you'd like. If you like tenting, that's cool, but we can definitely make room in the camper and/or cottage if you're more into a real bed!

My wife may want to take you up on that! She is not much for primitive camping.

I emailed her to let her know that we are probably going to be going on the 10th and I need to figure out what to bring and how to pack my brewing stuff and she says,

"what are we going to do with your beer once you've brewed it and we are
driving all over the UP in a hot car.... "

I'm still working on an answer. :drunk:

My wife may want to take you up on that! She is not much for primitive camping.

I emailed her to let her know that we are probably going to be going on the 10th and I need to figure out what to bring and how to pack my brewing stuff and she says,

"what are we going to do with your beer once you've brewed it and we are
driving all over the UP in a hot car.... "

I'm still working on an answer. :drunk:

Well, you will have to leave it at my cottage, and come back for it? I dunno, but it's all I can think of....................

You are absolutely welcome to stay at either place, the house or the cottage. I do have a cat and a dog so if you're allergic that could be an issue. I have one bedroom at my house in town that has been relatively cat-free, but not completely. She's walked through there, but never stayed in there for any length of time.

If allergies aren't an issue, you can definitely plan to stay at whichever place you prefer. The cottage is fine, but not fancy. There is a double bed in the loft, and I think you'd be comfortable. (It's not an open loft, just an upstairs).

Back