Messing around with my first solo recipe. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coviner

Reaction score
At this point it looks like this, going for an Rye Extra IPA I guess I would call it

7lbs. Pale LME
1lb flaked rye
1lb rye
1lb crystal 40
12oz. Vienna

1oz. Simcoe 60 min
1oz. Citra 60 min
1oz. Cascade 30min
1oz Columbus 30min
.5oz Simcoe 15min
.5oz Citra 15min
1.5oz Simcoe dry
1.5oz Citra dry
1oz Cascade dry

I also have an ounce each of Northern Brewer (not thinking it will work for this) and Centennial that I could modify in. Should I make any adjustments?

I have never had a rye that was this hoppy. My only thought is that you might loose the rye flavor to all the hops.

Also try and put the recipe in a program and post your OG, FG, IBUs ect...
From there you can compare it with other beers alcohol and flavor

I'd move the 30min add to within the final 20mins, because you're not going to get much flavor out of it. Also, rye needs to be mashed, so I don't think you'll get anything out of steeping it.

I have never had a rye that was this hoppy. My only thought is that you might loose the rye flavor to all the hops.

Also try and put the recipe in a program and post your OG, FG, IBUs ect...
From there you can compare it with other beers alcohol and flavor

That was really my fear in trying to go crazy with hops. I may use this as a test run, hope for the best and then adjust the rye later.

I'd move the 30min add to within the final 20mins, because you're not going to get much flavor out of it. Also, rye needs to be mashed, so I don't think you'll get anything out of steeping it.

Thanks, I had a feeling my hop timing might be a bit off.

Hopville has me at 1.071 OG, 1.018 FG, 78.2 IBU and 7.1 ABV. If I lose some or all of the rye and go for a straight IPA, some of those will obviously go down. The IBU is in the neighborhood of what I was shooting for.

Hopville has me at 1.071 OG, 1.018 FG, 78.2 IBU and 7.1 ABV. If I lose some or all of the rye and go for a straight IPA, some of those will obviously go down. The IBU is in the neighborhood of what I was shooting for.

How do you feel about adding say 2lbs of 2-row, and turning the steep into a partial mash so you can keep the rye?

BTW, those numbers aren't too far off from bear republics hop rod rye (there's recipes here) which is amazing

How do you feel about adding say 2lbs of 2-row, and turning the steep into a partial mash so you can keep the rye?

BTW, those numbers aren't too far off from bear republics hop rod rye (there's recipes here) which is amazing

That sounds great. I am going to go plug that in and save it so if nothing else, I will have it for next time. Thanks again.

Back