FG Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewfyre

Reaction score
Hiya folks,

Was wondering what FG I should be shooting for with my first batch. The OG was about 1.048 little higher thatn the 1.044 I was aiming for. I read or heard somewhere that the FG should be roughly about 25% lower than the OG is this correct? So should I be looking for a consistent hydrometer reading ie. 2 days back to back of about 1.036? Thanks for any info!

No,you want to go much lower than that. I would shoot for 1.012-1.016 for an extract batch. What was the yeast?

The FG should be around 25% of the what the OG was. In other words, the FG should be around 75% LOWER than the OG.

So Wyeast says average attenuation of around 75% http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=4

This is "apparent" attenuation, i.e. normalized to a SG of 1.000. So you take your starting FG, (1.048) minus 1.000, then multiply by (1-apparentattenuation).

(1.048-1.000)*(1-0.75) = 1.012.

You should get somewhere near 1.012. Like mentioned above, this will depend on the type of extract used, etc. You might only hit 1.020. Regardless, when it's done, it's pretty much done....Once you have the same reading a few days apart, that's your actual FG.

Back