Sorry to ask, but...(Efficiency question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
I recently upgraded equipment to be able to brew 10 gallon batch sizes(actually I shoot for 11 gallons to account for some loss during fermenting). Since switching, my efficiency has tanked. I used to nail OG's, now I am way off. Assuming I am hitting my mash temps, what would be the things to look for? (I read a ton of the sticky's, but kind of got information overload and no real concise answer for what I am looking for).

Here is a short list of my "suspects"

• Sparge temp too low
  • Too thick of a mash - I use 1.25 qts/lb.
  • Braid/manifold too small. I have a Coleman 70 quart cooler with a bazooka screen. This only goes about half way into the cooler, but is on the bottom with no loss of space below.
  • Grain crush - I use .35 on the setting at the LHBS. I crush there but do this myself.

I usually boil 13-14 gallons down to 11. I account for the 11 gallons in my recipe calcs.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I plan on really ramping up some brewing over the next weeks to get a large supply ready from mid-summer and fall. Thanks everyone!
:mug:

Asides from your key points, do mix/stir them well during the mash?
I usually stir 2-4 times per mash session to make sure everything is mix well.

Asides from your key points, do mix/stir them well during the mash?
I usually stir 2-4 times per mash session to make sure everything is mix well.

I usually stir a lot before the mash and before the sparge (after water added), but not during. This make a pretty big difference? I assume you close the valve when stirring and vorlauf again.

Cheers

Back