Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched to a DE about 2 years ago, been shaving with soap and a badger brush for about 20 years, used caned goo a bit in college.

Currently using a Merkur Slant, red personnas and a wee scott, or a sta-fast that I put a new super badger head in.

I switched to a DE about 2 years ago, been shaving with soap and a badger brush for about 20 years, used caned goo a bit in college.

Currently using a Merkur 34, red personnas and a wee scott, or a sta-fast that I put a new super badger head in.

All of my razors are 1945 or earlier, but I think I need to get a newer merkur sant to play with, might even buy new on this one!

I just got a gilette adjustable off ebay last night for $17. Probably paid too much but I really wanted to try and adjustable. Looking to get an old brush that I can restore too.

I just put a weekend into trying out the shark blades and thought they shave pretty good, going to order a hundred on Amazon, in order to get the free shipping I am going to get a hundred of the Israeli personna blades as well to try out.

I tried out a feather the other day. Damn those things are awesome. I am about to split 100 of them with a friend.

Glad the Sharks worked for you, can't beat the price.

I do the same thing when ordering - add in a book, or a t-shirt, or some little item we need to get over the $25 free-shipping line.

Gotta lova Amazon Prime.

I just got a gilette adjustable off ebay last night for $17. Probably paid too much but I really wanted to try and adjustable. Looking to get an old brush that I can restore too.

what kind of adjustable is it? $17 doesn't seem bad to me. i've actually got a few NOS badger brushes that i stockpiled a while ago if you are interested in one, i could probably sell you one for like $20 if you don't want to go the restoration route. IIRC, they are silvertip, but i'll have to dig them out and double check.

what kind of adjustable is it? $17 doesn't seem bad to me. i've actually got a few NOS badger brushes that i stockpiled a while ago if you are interested in one, i could probably sell you one for like $20 if you don't want to go the restoration route. IIRC, they are silvertip, but i'll have to dig them out and double check.

The listing wasn't very detailed and I am not that great at identification yet. I will figure out the year its from when I get it though.

Thanks for the offer on the brush. I am tracking a couple on ebay so if that falls through I might take you up on that. More than likely though if I can't get something really cheap on ebay I will just replace the knot in the POS one I have now.

I'm looking forward to knowing how you like the adjustable you picked up. I've been looking for one under twenty t try out.

I'm finding I like my Merkur 1904 over my Gem Klog Pruf. The SE GEM is just too aggressive for me. I also don't like packing up my things as I travel from my house to my work apartment and back. I've doubled up on nearly everything to try and alleviate that but I need to find another workable razor, the GEM doesn't work Like I was hoping it would.

Also finding out shaving every other day keeps the irritation down and no one really seems to notice if I don't shave a day even though it kind of drives me crazy with my neck hairs rubbing on my jacket collar all day.

I'm looking forward to knowing how you like the adjustable you picked up. I've been looking for one under twenty t try out.

I'm finding I like my Merkur 1904 over my Gem Klog Pruf. The SE GEM is just too aggressive for me. I also don't like packing up my things as I travel from my house to my work apartment and back. I've doubled up on nearly everything to try and alleviate that but I need to find another workable razor, the GEM doesn't work Like I was hoping it would.

Also finding out shaving every other day keeps the irritation down and no one really seems to notice if I don't shave a day even though it kind of drives me crazy with my neck hairs rubbing on my jacket collar all day.

I have found that the Gillette Tech is a very forgiving razor, it is recommended as a first DE by many because it isnt very agressive, of all the razors I have and use I keep going to my techs for a smoothe shave with no irritation.

I have a tech too right now and without anything to compare it to I would save it is pretty tame. It is why I have been wanting to try and adjustable for a while now.

Yeah, I meant to add that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300598653972?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know the black tip ones are newer and it looks like it is in really good shape.

alright, i'm stumped with that one. i've never seen a black tip with the knurling pattern that handle has. that knurling pattern looks more like a blue/red flare tipped super speed. and i don't see where it is adjustable??

regardless, it looks like a nice razor. i have one similar to it that i enjoy using.

after looking at it again, I think it might actually be a red tip (just hard to see the color in the pictures) super speed from the 50s. nice razors from what i've read, but they are not adjustable, just TTO (twist to open). here's one i found that looks similar:

attachment.php

after looking at it again, I think it might actually be a red tip (just hard to see the color in the pictures) super speed from the 50s. nice razors from what i've read, but they are not adjustable, just TTO (twist to open). here's one i found that looks similar:

attachment.php

SON OF A *****!!! You're right. On all the others I was looking at I actually made sure to look for the adjustment knob on the pictures but found that one while I was on my phone and didn't look. Now i'm pissed.

I just bought 9 brushes on ebay. :eek: I think I need to stop now.

Wow. I don't really collect anything, so I'm not the right person to talk to you about this, but unless you're collecting shaveriana (is that a word?), then yes I think you should stop. Maybe after you decide which brush(es) you like, you could turn around and sell the rest back on Ebay?

Wow. I don't really collect anything, so I'm not the right person to talk to you about this, but unless you're collecting shaveriana (is that a word?), then yes I think you should stop. Maybe after you decide which brush(es) you like, you could turn around and sell the rest back on Ebay?

I will probably keep 2 or 3 and toss the rest up on B&B. It was 2 auctions. 1 was a lot of 8 and the other I won right before I saw that.

Data, do you have links to the auctions? I might pick up a brush if you are going to peddle a few you dont need. just want to see what brushes they are.

cool brushes dataz, a few of those should shine up real nice. did you mention that you were going to re-knot them (those that you keep at least)?

cool brushes dataz, a few of those should shine up real nice. did you mention that you were going to re-knot them (those that you keep at least)?

Yeah, I will probably get them from www.thegoldennib.com and do what I can to freshen up the handles. I am thinking the arcylic one can look pretty good once done.

I just have no idea what kind of knots I want.

Oh no shaving heere too :beersmile:
Prefered shaver is a Dovo bergisher loeve, horse hair brush, cella soap and strop from scroupleworks(torolf myklebust)

If you consider going to SR from DE, the parker shavette is one of the better ones out there(and its one of the cheapest ones)
Still you will start learning again if you change from that to a real straight..

b&b and straightrazorplace is great recourses (but there might be some bullying admins for anyone that actually have an opinion)
coticule.be is great if you just want to maintain your straight

Oh yes just to mention a store bullgooseshaving.net

Yeah, I will probably get them from www.thegoldennib.com and do what I can to freshen up the handles. I am thinking the arcylic one can look pretty good once done.

I just have no idea what kind of knots I want.

well, once again, if any of those knots you take out happen to be 22mm, i've got some of that size in both best badger and silvertip laying around that i'd be happy to sell you if end up needing one or two. good luck with em! be sure to post some pics when you get after it.

but there might be some bullying admins for anyone that actually have an opinion

On b&b? I haven't spent a ton of time on there but I haven't noticed that at all.

well, once again, if any of those knots you take out happen to be 22mm, i've got some of that size in both best badger and silvertip laying around that i'd be happy to sell you if end up needing one or two. good luck with em! be sure to post some pics when you get after it.

I must have misunderstood you before. I thought you were just saying you had some burshes that needed work. Once I find out sizes I will let you know.

I must have misunderstood you before. I thought you were just saying you had some burshes that needed work. Once I find out sizes I will let you know.

sorry, i meant i have some "new" silvertip brushes, but i bought them like 5 or 6 years ago and they've just been sitting in my 'shaving box' since. at the same time, i also bought a bunch of best/silvertip knots in 22mm

sorry, i meant i have some "new" silvertip brushes, but i bought them like 5 or 6 years ago and they've just been sitting in my 'shaving box' since. at the same time, i also bought a bunch of best/silvertip knots in 22mm

ahhhhhhh gotcha. So I was way off then. :drunk:

b&b (but there might be some bullying admins for anyone that actually have an opinion)

You got that right, I got tired of all the political correctness. I really enjoyed the topic but they are so uptight about not offending anyone or hurting someones feelings that I don't visit the forum anymore.

You got that right, I got tired of all the political correctness. I really enjoyed the topic but they are so uptight about not offending anyone or hurting someones feelings that I don't visit the forum anymore.

I got a couple posts there deleted by mods for some comments about telling the wife to go make me a sammich in regards to someone posting about his wife not letting him buy something shave related.

Huh, I never noticed. Like I said though, I don't spend too much time there.

as much as i love wetshaving, it's kinda like brewing to me (in that i take a very lackadaisical attitude toward it) and the B&B folk are a whole different breed. i think they over-glorify what it was like to shave when these razors were being produced. the whole "gentleman" thing is annoying over there at times. but that doesn't stop me from spending way too much time on the site. ;)

as much as i love wetshaving, it's kinda like brewing to me (in that i take a very lackadaisical attitude toward it) and the B&B folk are a whole different breed. i think they over-glorify what it was like to shave when these razors were being produced. the whole "gentleman" thing is annoying over there at times. but that doesn't stop me from spending way too much time on the site. ;)

I am the same way. I do enjoy a lot of the off topic stuff there, pretty much like here.

I did get that razor and it is in fact a red tip. Stupid farking lying auctin titles. It is in pretty damn good shape though but I wouldn't have paid that much for it if i had been paying close attention to the pictures.

I am considering saying something to the seller about it.

Back