soup recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
what are your favorite(s) soup recipes? i usually use the crockpot but looking for kickass recipes this year. might even consider making a pumpkin soup this year

I have a good Minestrone recipe. HAvent made it in a while but now that things are starting to get cold it's about time to make up a batch!

1 pound Italian sausage, bulk or links
1 large onion ,chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium leek(white portion only) washed well and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cans( 14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
2 cans ( 14-1/2 ounces each) Italian seasoned diced tomatoes,undrained
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch sugar
1 can ( 15 ounce) garbanzo beans,rinsed and drained ( or chickpeas)
1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese( or more!)

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink;drain ( If using links,remove the casings and discard). Stir in the carrots, celery, leek and garlic; cook for 3 minutes. Add zucchini and green beans;cook 2 minutes longer.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, cabbage, Worcestershire, ketchup, basil, oregano, pepper and sugar. Bring to a boil .Reduce heat;cover and simmer 45 minutes.
Return to a boil. Stir in garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley.Cook 6-9 minutes or until the pasta is tender.Serve with Parmesan cheese. ( about 3 quarts)

Easy soups:

Clam chowder, Roasted fresh tomato, or Squash

Medium effort:

Wedding Soup (Escarole), Lobster or Crab Bisque, Corn Chowder, and my wife makes a stellar New Year's Eve tradition soup with shrimp, pork, lemongrass and ginger.

Involved but well worth it

Rosemary Raspberry Veal (with my 40 hour Veal Demi Glace), Sea Scallop Bisque (with Cognac and Saffron)

BTW SOB, that Minestrone looks very good. Might have to whip that up for the weekend.

Taco Soup:

4 14.5oz cans of Diced tomatos
2 cans of Rotel
2 packages of Ranch Dressing seasoning
2 packages of Taco Seasoning
2 14.5oz can of whole kernel corn
1 14.5oz can of white hominy
1 14.5oz can of kidney beans *I use light*
2 pounds of ground meat
Garlic to taste
1 large onion

Brown meat, add onion and garlic to sweat the onions (sprinkle with salt when you put the onions in to more properly sweat them) then dump
everything else in and simmer for at least an hour.

Notes:
-Drain the beans, corn, and hominy everything else leave as is.
-I typically use Hot Rotel, but it is up to you. Cilantro Lime works well in this recipe
-For the Ground Meat again it is your choice, typically I use 1lb of the leanest ground turkey I can find and 1lb of ground beef. I've also used chorizo (out of the skin and crumbled up) to great effect but it is much greasier
-For the taco seasoning, I found taco bell has a chipotle seasoning that is great in this, but regular works awesomely, too
-One can of corn can be sucessfully swapped for a can of pintos if you like
-Don't skip the Hominy even if you don't like it (I don't like it), it really works int his recipe
-Serve with tortilla chips (Tostitos Hint of Lime work very well), sour cream, and shredded cheese.
-If you brown the meat in advance and put it all in the croc pot in the morning, it comes out fine just letting it run on low until you get home from work.
-This recipe makes a HUGE pot of soup. My wife and I typically get 3+ meals out it.

Edit: I typically also toss some beer in this soup to make up for lost liquid as it simmers...8-12oz works well.

Broccoli Cheese

chicken stock
chopped up broccoli florets
shredded cheddar
maybe a little cream or half & half
spices, herbs and what-not

Taco Soup:

Made up a batch of this last night and it was damn good! I'll have to say, that when I first read the recipe it didnt sounds like anything special but once I put everything together and got it simmering I could tell it was going to be delicious. Instead of buying taco seasoning I make my own. It tastes just as good (if not better) then store bought.

Topped the bowl off with cheese, sour cream and some cool ranch doritos. Damn was it good! I brought some to work today for lunch. I cut the batch in half it there was enough for my wife and I to have about 3 meals!

Thanks for the recipe.

Broccoli Cheese

chicken stock
chopped up broccoli florets
shredded cheddar
maybe a little cream or half & half
spices, herbs and what-not
Waaaay back when, I used to work for TGI Fridays and everything was made from scratch. I was the soup/sauce man for many years. One of their signature soups was their Brocolli Cheese soup. It was awesome when made right (many people make it too thick). I'll try to find the recipe or at least come up with a basic idea.

One thing we did was boil the brocolli stems in broth until totally mushy. Then drain the mushy stems and reserve that liquid. Puree the stems to a creamy consistency...THEN start 'building' the soup. And, gasp, it used Velveeta in the soup (real cheddar as the garnish). Velveeta is good for some things imo. Blanched Florets only added at the very end right before serving.

EDIT: Taco soup is da bomb.:)

Made up a batch of this last night and it was damn good!.....

I got the recipe from a friends wife after having it at their house one night. I, of course, then had to tweak it a few times :p

edit: SOB, I've been looking for a good minestrone recipe for a while (I LOVE minestrone). I have to ask though, why the cabbage? I can't recall it being in any minestrone I've ever eaten.

Does anyone have a great split pea with ham recipe? When I was a kid, every now and then my dad, who didn't cook much beyond the bbq would make pots of soup, sadly I would never touch that green conocoction he would make.

But as I grew older and acquired a taste for it in restaurants , he stopped making it, then died a few years back, so I never got the chance to actually try his.

Now that fall is here, I'm thinking I would love to make a pot.

Revvy: While I don't have a good split-pea recipe, if I was going to make it, I would approach it much like making navy bean/great northern with ham.

Basically I'd sautee some onion/garlic, toss it in a crockpot with dried beans, salt and pepper, and a ham hock/ham/etc and cook it on low until the peas were where you wanted them (in this case basically mush). I usually also toss a bay leaf and a tiny bit of thyme in with beans/stew and quite possibly some crumbled up bacon.

edit: With some water or other cooking liquid in there of course.

I have a few recipes that I'm working on:

Split Pea Soup (not the best I've ever had, but tweak with spices to your hearts content. My kids ask for this!)

Small package of Split Peas
Chicken Broth (canned or boullion)
Lots of bacon, or ham of your choice
Onion
Garlic
Butter
Carrots

Heat butter in pan and sweat the chopped onion until they are mooshy. Add chopped garlic for a couple of minutes until it is "roasted".

Add Chicken Broth to desired amount.

Add peas and chopped carrots

Heat to boiling, then simmer until peas are tender.

While waiting for peas to tenderize, add ham or bacon (or both!). Add any spices that you think would go well.

When peas are tender, mash up with a masher, or one of those hand-held blender doohickies. Just enough to thicken the soup.

Turn off heat.

Serve with fresh warm homemade bread.

Zuppa Toscana (from Olive Garden). My wife loves this one, and actually says she likes mine better. I just looked it up online and the recipe seems to be a perfect match!

1 pkg Italian Sausage (choose your own heat level)
Potatoes
Garlic
Onion
Few slices Bacon (or that Italian bacon stuff)
Heavy Cream
Chicken Broth
Fresh Kale
Salt Pepper
Other spices if you like

Heat butter in a pot.

Add chopped onion and sweat until tender.

Add choped garlic and roast until roasted (whatever)

Add chicken broth and smallish chunks of sliced potatoes.

Add Bacon and browned (and drained) sausage.

Heat to boiling and then simmer until potatoes are tender.

Add heavy cream (small pkg).

Strip the leaves off the Kale stems and chop. Add to soup.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Turn off heat.

Serve with fresh homemade bread, or breadsticks (if you want to emulate that Olive Garden experience. Maybe you don't, but at my house, this is a sure way to get something extra special later on.. ;)

edit: SOB, I've been looking for a good minestrone recipe for a while (I LOVE minestrone). I have to ask though, why the cabbage? I can't recall it being in any minestrone I've ever eaten.

Honestly...I have no clue! About a year ago I noticed a bagged soup in one of the grocery store aisles that looked good. Never heard of Minestrone before then...hell I didnt know how to pronounce it! So I cooked the "bagged soup" and it was OK. Then I figured it would be good with Italian sausage and looked up a recipe. THat is the one I came across.

So in short...I have no clue what the cabbage is doing there. If it would have told me to put Rhubarb in it I probably would have! I dont know any better. I just know it's damn good...

Bean and Bacon (or HAM)

I like this one. I cheat and use Campbells family size can for a starter. Sue me.

1 large can of Campbells Bean with Bacon soup (or your favorite other condensed soup)
Few medium potatoes.
Carrots
More Bacon or HAM

Place condensed soup in pot.

Add water.

Add more water (You'll need more to cook the potatoes and carrots)

Add diced potatoes.

Add chopped carrots.

Heat to boiling, then simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender.

Add any spices you prefer.

Also, Alton Brown has a Pea Soup recipe on his episode "Give Peas a Chance". Might want to look that one up. If I remember, it was a very simple recipe.

I've had pea soup at a pioneer festival in Indiana (Feast of the Hunters Moon, which is a very cool even to attend!) and it tasted a bit like paste. You kind of need the ham or bacon to flavor it up some. IMO

Vegetable Beef (Made this yesterday, for the first time. Everyone loved it.)

8 Cups Beef Broth
4 medium potatoes
1 Can Cut Green Beans
1 Can Sweet Corn
1 Can Diced Carrots
1 can Sweet Peas
Half an onion
1 lb. Hamburger
3 Roma Tomatoes
2 stalks celery

Brown hamburger. Drain grease.

To the soup pot:
Add diced potatoes.
Add each of the cans of vegetables, including the liquid.
Add chopped celery.
Add chopped onion.
Add browned burger.
Add chopped tomatoes

Heat to boiling.

Reduce heat to simmer and cook until carrots and potatoes are tender.

Of course you could use fresh veggies from the garden. Yum!

Serve with warm fresh homemade bread (or make bread bowls!!)

Brown hamburger. Drain grease.
Brown hamburger. Drain into a seperating cup and pour off the liquid for use in the soup. Reserve the grease for later cooking.:D

You're throwing away some mighty good stuff if you just toss it imo. Your recipes look great though!:)

Revvy: While I don't have a good split-pea recipe, if I was going to make it, I would approach it much like making navy bean/great northern with ham.

Basically I'd sautee some onion/garlic, toss it in a crockpot with dried beans, salt and pepper, and a ham hock/ham/etc and cook it on low until the peas were where you wanted them (in this case basically mush). I usually also toss a bay leaf and a tiny bit of thyme in with beans/stew and quite possibly some crumbled up bacon.

edit: With some water or other cooking liquid in there of course.

We just made a batch almost exactly like this, with the addition of 2 chopped carrots and celery sticks (add to the saute) and a few chopped gold potatoes. Saute the aromatics (onion/carrot/celery) until just starting to brown, then add the garlic with a teaspoon of sugar. Saute ~30 seconds (don't brown the garlic) and add your thyme, bay leaves, water or broth, peas, ham hock, ham, and potatoes.

I never thought to user a full mirepoix for "just beans" will definitely be trying that next time, too. This thread rocks :D

Easy Recipe:

Winter Squash/ Pumpkin soup

2-3 Squash or 1 Pumpkin, chunked
1 medium onion
4 T butter
2-3 T Maple syrup
16 oz chicken or vegetable stock
salt pepper to taste
heavy cream

Peel and cut into chunks several pounds of squash (acorn, butternut, etc) or pumpkins.

Saute onion in 1T butter, add chunked squash, salt and pepper, and continue to saute for several minutes.

Add a few T Pancake Syrup, (I love Mrs Butterworth for this)

Stir to coat everything and then

Add chicken stock

Simmer for 30-40 minutes until squash is quite soft

Remove from heat, add a couple T each butter and heavy cream

Blend with stick blender until smooth. (You can use a regular blender for this but be careful.)

Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Finally found the old Brocolli Cheese Soup recipe. This is for 25 orders (lol) so scale it as needed. Just remember that it's not a thick soup...just coats the back of a spoon. Also, this recipe is actually 'engineered' such that it's supposed to be made ahead of time, refrigerated, then reheated and the blanched brocolli florets are only added then. It comes out a little bit thicker when you do that (but it's still not thick). This soup is all about getting the consistency right.

2.5 lb brocolli stems cut into large chunks
8 oz onion cut into large chunks
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chicken base
7 qt water

Combine in pot, bring to boil then simmer until tender (~30 min)
Strain contents and reserve liquid
Remove bay leaf and puree brocolli stems/onions until smooth

10 oz butter
10 oz flour, all purpose

Make a roux in the soup pot, do not brown

1 qt whole milk, heated

Stir heated milk into roux, then add

1 Tbs salt
2.5 tsp black pepper
5 qt reserved liquid from earlier
Brocolli/onion puree

Heat slowly stirring constantly until mixture just boils and thickens, then add

3 lb Velveeta cut into 1" chunks
1 pint Whipping Cream

Add Velveeta and allow to melt then stir in cream and add

2 qt Blanched small brocolli florets

Garnish with grated cheddar cheese.

Does anyone have a great split pea with ham recipe?

I swear by Julia Child's split pea soup with ham recipe. I've made it many times and, although a bit labor intensive, it's well worth it. It's from Julia Child's "The Way To Cook", but I found a link for you which is basically the exact recipe.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Split-Pea-Soup-a-La-Julia-Child-101654

I don't use ham hocks, but buy a Honey Baked Ham bone. I use the extra ham on the bone at the end, cut into small pieces, sauteed in some butter until it has a bit of crisp on it, and then added to the soup as a garnish. Also toss in some croutons and a little sour cream if you like it. A bonus is that these ham bones tend to come with quite a bit of meat on them, so you can munch while cooking. Mmmmmmm.

Enjoy.

I dug through all my cookbooks this weekend and came up with exactly one split pea soup recipe, and it was basically exactly what Buffman and I already talked about.

On a side note, this cold snap (here in AL) has made me ready to pull out the crockpots (all four of them) and put them in to full service for the season. More recipes to follow as I plan to try several new things this year.

... this cold snap (here in AL)

What did it get down to...50? :D

The near freezing temps (was actually 31 this morning!) here have helped put me in the mood for all the taco soup I needed to finish off. Ate the last of it yesterday and man, I could eat that stuff every day!

I believe it was actually in the 30s at one point, but definitely not the fall weather I was expecting this week.

Yeah I could just about eat that taco soup every day :p We're actually making it tonight or tomorrow.

Brown hamburger. Drain into a seperating cup and pour off the liquid for use in the soup. Reserve the grease for later cooking.:D

You're throwing away some mighty good stuff if you just toss it imo. Your recipes look great though!:)

Yeah, sometimes I use some of it. I've been wondering if I could use it make soap with. I'm considering the crazy notion of adding yet another hobby to my already very busy life.

Actually, when I made Veg beef soup this last time I didn't even drain teh grease. Just poured everything into the soup pot. I guess it was leaner than usual.

I'll try to remember to get my mom's split pea soup recipe. It was a staple growing up and others just aren't quite as good. I know she's working on a cookbook for us kids, but I'm sure I can snag that recipe sooner. I do know it isn't a complicated recipe, and it pretty much gets made whenever there is a leftover ham or smoked picnic.

i made this recently which came out great(someone elses recipe though with a few changes i made) by the way, this recipe makes a lot, i made it for a group

1/4 cup butter
1/2 bunch green onions chopped,
1 yellow onion chopped
1/2 cup butter
2 pounds frozen shrimp, cleaned
3 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
2 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon oldbay

Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions in butter until tender. Remove from pan, and set aside. In the same skillet, melt 1/2 cup of butter, and saute the shrimp(cut each into 2-3pieces) for 5 minutes; set aside.

In a large pot over medium heat, combine potato soup, mushroom soup, corn, and cream cheese. Mix well, and bring to a slow boil. Stir in half-and-half, sauteed onions, and shrimp. Season with the peppers. Bring to a low boil, and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.

8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 cups milk
1/2 cup chopped green onion(scallion)
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1.Place cubed potatoes into a glass dish, and cook in the microwave oven for 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft.
2.While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth, then gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
3.Stir in the potatoes and onion, and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in the sour cream and Cheddar cheese until melted and well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
4.Garnish with chopped scallion, shredded cheddar, and bacon

Simple and easy, less than 30 minutes, and very tasty. 12 servings(or 3 manly servings)

8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 cups milk
1/2 cup chopped green onion(scallion)
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1.Place cubed potatoes into a glass dish, and cook in the microwave oven for 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft.
2.While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth, then gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
3.Stir in the potatoes and onion, and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in the sour cream and Cheddar cheese until melted and well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
4.Garnish with chopped scallion, shredded cheddar, and bacon

Simple and easy, less than 30 minutes, and very tasty. 12 servings(or 3 manly servings)

I made this last night. Doubled recipe b/c we had family over. It was awesome. Will be finishing it tonight. Only thing I would change is IMO it needs some garlic.

I made this last night. Doubled recipe b/c we had family over. It was awesome. Will be finishing it tonight. Only thing I would change is IMO it needs some garlic.

I agree that it could use some garlic. I also like to sprinkle a little bit of cayenne pepper on top, after it's in the bowl. YUMMY!!!

As promised, my mom's split pea soup recipe:

1lb split peas
1-1.5c chopped onion
1c chopped celery
1c chopped carrots
1/2-3/4lb cubed salt cured ham (not sugar cured, and a lot less if country ham)
~1tsp salt to taste
~1/2-3/4tsp pepper to taste

Rinse split peas by putting them in a pot and cover with water. Swish them around with your hand, dump the water. Repeat 2-3 times. Rinsing with a colander just doesn't cut it.

Add about 2.5 quarts of water to the peas, and simmer for an hour

Add Ham, Onion, & Celery, simmer for another hour

Add carrots, simmer for another 45min-1hour

Add salt & pepper to taste.

Nice and simple, tweak it to your own tastes!

Back