how to stop ferment after BEANO addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
so i added 6 beano tablets to a stuck ferment, and now it looks like I am about to go below the projected FG. what should i do?!?:eek:

Beano breaks down complex sugars into simple sugars. All of the sugars the yeast leave behind can be eaten once Beano has been added. It is a great way to produce low carb beers, but the trade off is not much body, and a dry beer.

what about a temperature change? throw it in the fridge for a few days or heat it? thoughts?

what about a temperature change? throw it in the fridge for a few days or heat it? thoughts?

Putting it in the fridge is just going to stall fermentation, not stop it. Bottle Bombs. Heating to pasteurize would work if you can force carb., but might drive off some flavors. Wine makers use preservatives to stop fermentation...

Does BEANO help stuck fermentation? Never knew that.
My advice. Only use Beano to prevent farts.

Beano'd beer will ferment for an eternity. Even weeks in a secondary...you'll still end up with over-carbonated bottles of beer. That **** never stops fermenting.

Toss in some potassium sorbate (local LHBS). That will render the yeast impotent and fermentation should stop.

Beano in beer= bad beer. It would take some serious experimentation to figure out how to use it effectively.

Beano is similar (but not exactly the same) as alpha amylase. It breaks down complex starches into simpler sugars. You mash out and boil your wort which denatures the mash enzymes. The only way to stop beano really is to heat the beer to 170F, or kill the yeast.

Alpha-galactosidase enzyme can be de-natured by heating to 135F and holding for 20 minutes. This will probably kill the yeast as well. Plan on adding yeast to carbonate.

Wow! That was a short sharp education in Beano! I had no idea!

A) never knew about it
B) Sounds great! ferments like crazy!
C) Sounds bad! It won't stop fermenting!
D) Only use Beano to prevent farts!

WTF!? I have no desire to have my beer get so out of control, and I LOVE my farts.....No Beano for me then!.....EVER!!

Alpha-galactosidase enzyme can be de-natured by heating to 135F and holding for 20 minutes. This will probably kill the yeast as well. Plan on adding yeast to carbonate.

Oh right. I knew it was a different enzyme. I didn't realize it denatured at a much lower temperature.

How do you know it denatured at 135 F ? Some sources quotes that temperature is the optimum temperature.

Back