Beer has a hint of Bologna!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
I just SG'd and tasted my american amber(not yet bottled forcarbonation) and it has a bologna type taste to it. Very faint but concerning. Its only my second batch and the first one was a Mr beer kit. This one is a brewers best. i;m a bitconcerned. thoughts?:confused:

How old are you judging it by...in the fermenter? After 3 weeks in the bottle? I never worry of judge a beer until it has been in the bottle AT LEAST 3 weeks...the beer is going to go through so many changes from the day you pitch the yeast until the last bottle is drunk...especially in the beginning when it is still going through everything and is still green...

So if it is young just see it through it's process and I betcha the taste will be long forgotten...Even after 3 weeks in the bottle it isn't hopeless...read this. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Heck it will be a perfect beverage for bologna sandwiches. LOL JK.

Listen to Revvy. Wait it out.

Not too far up Michigan's thumb from me is Yale, Michigan. Every summer they have the Bologna Festival (They have like two or three bologna factories in the town dating back to the 1800's) complete with the bologna king and queen, outhouse races...fantastic fried bologna sandwhices (only time I will eat them) and one of the best and longest rural parades I have ever seen...it lasts for over an hour, and has one section which is all these vintage tractors (this is a rural area)....I betcha I could make some good change with your bologna beer...

I bet some of my smoked beers would go great with a friend bologna sandwhich.

Not too far up Michigan's thumb from me is Yale, Michigan. Every summer they have the Bologna Festival (They have like two or three bologna factories in the town dating back to the 1800's) complete with the bologna king and queen, outhouse races...fantastic fried bologna sandwhices (only time I will eat them) and one of the best and longest rural parades I have ever seen...it lasts for over an hour, and has one section which is all these vintage tractors (this is a rural area)....I betcha I could make some good change with your bologna beer...

I bet some of my smoked beers would go great with a friend bologna sandwhich.

Nice! Over on this side of the state the best we have is the Vermonville Syrup Festival every April. It brings out all kinds. Three years ago I saw a guy with a faded hot pink Zubaz shirt walking around there. You remeber Zubaz don't you? The 80s......zebra striped clothes featuring colors of our favorite sports teams. My favorite was the teal/orange Miami Dolphin parachute-type pants. Aaahhhhh...........I digress. What were we talking about again? Bologna beer, right. Just let it sit hillbilly. I could go on for a while about tastes I've encountered in my beers before they came together: Apple, orange, fruit, bannana, egg, sulfur, pepper, nettles, marijuana(no joke), clove, cinimmon, nutmeg, seaweed........ Luckily some of them hung around in the final beer:D The undesirable ones never seem to.

That sounds like a fun festival...I'm a big fan of our state's freaky festival...

Have you ever made it to the Cheesburger festival in Caseville? Caseville is sort of Michigan's answer to Key West...it's Bikers, babes, Jimmy Buffet and burgers in the late summer.

And ther's also the Fish FLy Festival in New Baltimore...Bay-Rama Fishfly Festival Home

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know when you get a beer that tastes like salami.

Mmm. Salami beer. (sound of me gurgling my own saliva)

Back