type of sugar cane vs. corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willis

Reaction score
Help ! :confused:
I'm bottling my first batch of beer tomorrow. It's a 5 gallon blonde ale recipe that was suggested to me. It has been great, but now i'm nervous about the priming sugar. All information that i've read has told me to use 3/4 cup of "Corn sugar", and to add it to the beer as I bottle. My friend (who has been doing this for a while) bought me a bag of regular powdered sugar (cane sugar) to use for priming.
Is it ok to use this as a priming sugar? Will it change flavor, carbonation, alcohol content? compared to corn sugar? Please help, as I'm bottling tomorrow!!!
:confused:

Thanks,

Willis

Do not use powdered sugar. Corn sugar would be best but regular granulated sugar would work OK.

What you do is boil the sugar for about 10 minutes in 1 to 1.5 cups of water. Let it cool and add it to the bottling bucket. Rack your beer onto the solution so that it will mix well. You can very gently stir it if you want to......very gently.

Do you have a bottling wand? It makes the job much easier.

If a bottling wand is the tool you press on the bottom of the bottle to release liquid, then yes.
How would the powdered sugar effect the beer?

Willis said:
If a bottling wand is the tool you press on the bottom of the bottle to release liquid, then yes.
How would the powdered sugar effect the beer?

Powdered sugar usually contains corn starch or some other agent to keep it from clumping and you don't necess want that in your brew.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-3.html

f65.gif

Handy to determine your sugar priming amount

I think powdered sugar has some corn starch in it, you don't want that in your beer.

Is it powdered or regular granulated?

Back