WLP 076 Old Sonoma Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTbar

Reaction score
Waiting on this strain to arrive at the LHBS, read about it on white labs sounds like an basic ale yeast just curious if anyone has used it. No reviews on their site....

Also fermenting an IPA with the last platinum release, there Australian Ale, any one used it in an IPA? and or anything else? I found it to work fast and floc out pretty quick.. bout to bottle half the batch and keg the other half

Let me Know :tank:

Everything I have read, I think it is either the strain, or a derivative of the strain Jack McAuliffe used at New Albion

Everything I have read, I think it is either the strain, or a derivative of the strain Jack McAuliffe used at New Albion

Interesting just reading up on New Albion some rich history there, would be awesome to find out what they brewed and try to brew something in honor, might have to do some more research.

Thanks for the reply:mug:

Any update on how your IPA with the Australian Ale yeast turned out TommyTbar? Looking to make sometime similar in the next couple days.

nicklepickles said:
Any update on how your IPA with the Australian Ale yeast turned out TommyTbar? Looking to make sometime similar in the next couple days.

Srry for the late reply, turned out amazing had quite the bready English aus ale character to it but still allowed the hops to shine through, defiantly not the cleanest fermenting strain but personally loved the results, I used to live in aus and reminded me of some of the beers I had down there, but way better, I think this was because of the classic west coast American hops.
If you followed through with your endeavor let me know how it turned out

TommyTbar said:
Interesting just reading up on New Albion some rich history there, would be awesome to find out what they brewed and try to brew something in honor, might have to do some more research.

Thanks for the reply:mug:

Their flagship was a pale ale, all 2-row and Cascade ~6%abv. Sam Adams re-brewed it earlier this year.

For those of you who are curious about this yeast, I used to brew with it when I worked for the Mendocino Brewing Company and had access to it for use in my homebrew. The Mendocino brewing company, originally called The Hopland Brewery was stared by the New Albion brewers and acquired the yeast (and equipment) from New Albion after they shut down. Overall it is a good clean and fast fermenting American ale yeast. Mendocino Brewing Co ferments with it at 68 degrees and their 6.1% ABV Red-Tail Ale is usually down to its final gravity in 5-8 days (7 is about average). For those of you who enjoy bottle harvesting yeast, all of the classic Mendocino Brewing Co beers are bottle conditioned so you can harvest the yeast if you can get your hands on their beers (I believe their website has distribution info). You may have to use multiple bottles and do a small first step though because they force carb their beer nearly to its ending carbonation level and only add a small amount of yeast to finish it off. They have had a contract with one of the yeast companies (white labs I believe) for many years who isolated the strain so they go no more than 7 generations before starting over so if you do harvest their yeast it should be relatively pure and close to what you would get if you got it from white labs. In my experience with it, it was a very reliable yeast and would make a good alternative to the Sierra Nevada (us-05/wlp001/1056) as a house strain.

TommyTbar said:
Srry for the late reply, turned out amazing had quite the bready English aus ale character to it but still allowed the hops to shine through, defiantly not the cleanest fermenting strain but personally loved the results, I used to live in aus and reminded me of some of the beers I had down there, but way better, I think this was because of the classic west coast American hops.
If you followed through with your endeavor let me know how it turned out

Awesome! I ended up making a black session ale with it, and it turned out pretty good. A little bit more bitter then what i was expecting though. All in all, id definitely do it again

I've got Australian ale yeast going in a SMaSH - Golden Promise/Hallertauer
I'll let you know how it goes.

Well the results are mixed at best. I ended up mashing a bit high and I feel like the balance of the beer never really came around. I split this batch between yeasts WLP-009, and my latest favorite Wyeast Greenbelt.
The results are inconclusive because I did not like either beer I ended up with.
I did get a belgiany wit like flavor from the Aus Ale yeast. Is this the Breadiness?
Anyway ill have to revisit the experiment sometime.

What temp do you guys like to ferment this 009 at?

Made a brown porter with old Sonoma ale fermented from 1.060ish to 1.008 in 4 days. Result was a nice rounded beer that highlighted malts and had a bit of an english bread character to it. Also brewed a two hearted clone that I sort of wanted to be an english IPA and just kegged it, nice malt flavor that works with the hops very well. Glad I always make huge starters and pull some off to save!

Back