Where to start..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peoplehead

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has already been asked, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm a complete beginner with brewing. This weekend I'm going to buy a good book and start reading. Any recomendations?

I plan on buying all of the equipment I need to start brewing, but I really don't know where to begin. I've seen tons of 'kits,' but I don't want something incredibly cheap that only makes a few batches. I don't have a fortune to spend, but I would like something that makes great beer for years.

Some kits are around $85. Some kits are around $130 and they offer glass carboys.

When brewing with a fairly basic setup, how much beer does this produce?

I plan on doing plenty of research, but my research starts here. Absolutly any help or advice would be great!

Go to: howtobrew.com that is a great place to start learning the process. Once you understand the process, you will then be able to make a decision about how much equipment you want to purchase. I have spent probably $800 in the past year... but I started with an $85 equipment kit and $20 for ingredients for my first brew. Even an $85 kit will brew beer for years. After you brew a few batches and talk to some people on here, you will spend all of your money at one point or another he he. WELCOME to the club!

Id read anything by Charlie Papazian... that is where I learned to brew. I started with all grain brewing and the only guide that I had was one of his books. I knew no one that brewed and was not yet a part of this forum. You can do it alone, but you will have a much easier time asking people here with experience...

I'll second the Papazian books. He hits enough of the real science to get you started well, but keeps it laid back enough that you won't start stressing about anything.

When you get an equipment kit, it may come with enough ingredients to make one batch of beer. The equipment itself will last you for years. An average batch of homebrew is 5 gallons, or about 2 cases of bottles.
If you just pick up an equipment set you should be able to find a good recipe in whatever book you choose. Many reputable web-based retailers sell pre-packaged ingredient kits intended to duplicate popular commercial brews also.

Where do you live? Maybe someone on the forum lives nearby and needs a helper this coming weekend...

Over the last two years, I've brewed about 18 beers (12 all grain) with a basic plastic fermenter + glass carboy kit (~$70), turkey fryer and pot for boiling (~$70), and converted cooler for mashing (~$50). I just bought a wort chiller.

Only now am I looking to step it up, and it isn't because this setup doesn't work or won't last, only because I want something nicer. I don't see myself going to 10 gallon batches--I don't drink that much and like variety... If you think this is something you may want to gravitate towards, that may impact what you buy now.

You may want to read the books already recommended before buying any equipment.

Congradulations!:mug:

You are already way ahead of the game by making a decision to read and inform yourself before you start brewing. The guys and gals here will enjoy answering informed questions too.

You'll have to make a number of decisions along the way. Some of the questions to ask yourself are:

Why am I brewing my own beer? for a challenge? to make better beer than I can buy commercially? as a hobby to kill time? as a do-it-yourselfer? to save money? as a possible future career?
maybe some are all of the above.

How do I want to start? with a basic kit doing extract only? start out with extract, then move on to Partial Mash, then on to All Grain? or jump right into All Grain?

Extract brew supplies costs more than all grain but you'll need more equipment to do all grain. The good thing is all the equipment you'll need to do extract brews can be used if and when you move up to all grain.

Kits generally break down into 2 catagories:
1. would be brewing equipment.
2. would be a beer type or clone kit such as a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale kit.

although some brew stores offer kits with both equipment and supplies for making the beer

One book I enjoyed reading was Brew Ware because I gave me insight into building my own equipment and helped me understand what the equipment was used for. Also John Plamer's How to Brew is a great book and the basics are on his web site www.howtobrew.com.
for free.

There are a number of places you can get low cost equipment or even free equipment.

Here's my first piece of advice: Start saving beer bottles especially the brown non-twist off type.

Here's the second: Buy Cheap and Buy Twice! OR buy quality and your great-grandchildren can use it.

Best wishes

abracadabra said:
Here's the second: Buy Cheap and Buy Twice! OR buy quality and your great-grandchildren can use it.

You sound like my dad, he always said that. But i whole heartedly agree. If you can Find good quality equip cheap then buy it but don't buy low quality stuff and expect much out of it.

Welcome to the hobby

Cheers

Back