steeping for full volume boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:tank: :confused: When doing a full boil, do you steep grains in a volume a couple gals. less than full, or do you just steep in a couple gals. then add to full volume? I'm not sure it makes much difference. I'm making a 7.5 gallon batch so I will steep in 5 Gals. then rinse grains with 2.5 gals of 170+ water. Then I will put in 2# extract and follow hop schedule and add the rest of extract at 15mins. to go :mug:

I have never tested the validity of this advice, but I have seen it recommended that you not exceed one gallon per pound of grain when steeping. Personally, I have had good success with about 2 quarts per pound for the steep, followed by a sparge with an equal amount. Then top up with water to reach your boil volume (if required).

As Orfy says, you might consider going AG if you already have full boil capacity. A cooler-based mash tun costs very little to make, and assuming you have a chiller and a thermometer already, you probably don't need much else (except a bit more time on your brew day!).

:mug: Well I just bought me a 33 qt. brewpot,and I thought AG brewing looks to be more trouble than what it's worth, so I also aquired a 8 gal. fermenter to put to use so I thought I'd make a 7.5 Gal batch. Partial to Oatmeal Stout so , had to brew one up for me! Had a friend that had never seen brewing before so, had to share some old stories and have samples of what I was brewing up! Extract Ale tastes so good I wonder why people ever went to AG. Kind of reminds of a guy flyfishing for REAL,or some DipS%*T tossing a gob of worms, both catch fish and have great fun!:tank:

Back