Flaked Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C17-EHSE

Reaction score
After searching around a bit, I could not find a definitive answer. I want to do an extract brew using some flaked rye. It's part of a pale ale I want to brew.

Will steeping be enough? Some say it is, other things I've read say different.

So what is the consensus here among the real experts?

Yes, you will get some rye flavor from it. Go for it. What are the other steeping grains? How much rye are we talking?

Starchy adjuncts which include flaked grains really should be mashed not just steeped. While you may get a small amount of flavor from steeping flaked rye you will not get nearly as much as compared to mashing. You will also get stuff you do not want such as starches, gums, proteins, etc which would be converted or broken down by the mashing process. Doing a mini mash is not that much more complicated than simply steeping and will get you far better results with this type of ingredient. Your choice.

Yes, you will get some rye flavor from it. Go for it. What are the other steeping grains? How much rye are we talking?

Thanks

1 pound of flaked rye and one pound of Crystal with 7 lbs of Pale LME. Should be enough fermentables with out the Rye' I'm looking more for flavor from it.

Starchy adjuncts which include flaked grains really should be mashed not just steeped. While you may get a small amount of flavor from steeping flaked rye you will not get nearly as much as compared to mashing. You will also get stuff you do not want such as starches, gums, proteins, etc which would be converted or broken down by the mashing process. Doing a mini mash is not that much more complicated than simply steeping and will get you far better results with this type of ingredient. Your choice.

Thanks. I'm gonna give the mini mash a try. Researched it and I think I can do that. It's only my second brew. Should I uses a clarifier like Irish Moss?

Back