Adding Hops After the Fact

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I have a batch I brewed and kegged a couple weeks ago. The hops I used were home grown which was cool, but they were not very strong at all. And in fact the beer is much to malty for my taste without the hop bitterness to offset it. My question is, other than dry hopping, has anyone ever added hops to a batch that was finished?

My hairbrain idea was to boil just hops in a quart of water for an hour just like in a wort, but without out the malt, and then opening the keg and dumping it in. Will this work?

Thanks!

Gilbey

According to what I've read, the malt actually helps extract bitterness and flavour from the hops, so if you go with this plan, dissolve a few spoonfuls of extract in the water...

Gilbey said:
I have a batch I brewed and kegged a couple weeks ago. The hops I used were home grown which was cool, but they were not very strong at all. And in fact the beer is much to malty for my taste without the hop bitterness to offset it. My question is, other than dry hopping, has anyone ever added hops to a batch that was finished?

My hairbrain idea was to boil just hops in a quart of water for an hour just like in a wort, but without out the malt, and then opening the keg and dumping it in. Will this work?

Thanks!

Gilbey

This would be a good opportunity to try Hop extract oil. Do a Google search on Hop extract oil.

I think an easy way to add some bitterness would be at bottling time. Boil some high alpha hops for an hour or so in about a quart of water, strain and use this to make your priming sugar.

Gilbey said:

Thanks!

Gilbey

Honestly, I'd brew a double hoppy batch and mix the 2. Its the only real way you are going to fix that other batch.

Back