Sucrose vs glucose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
I know I am about to open a huge can of worms by asking this but its a semi emergency.

I am about to bottle my Coopers Real Ale and realized I didn't order priming sugar with it. I don't have any form of glucose/dextrose. I have seen you can use table sugar/sucrose as a substitute. If so, for a 5 gal batch how much should I use? I have heard 3/4 cup with 2 cups of water.

Any advice would be helpful!

Before I started going by weight I was using a 2/3 cup of table sugar for 5 gallons. If I remember this was a little on the conservative side.

I got 2.5 oz of table sugar.. using this: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

is that right? I left my scale somewhere.... is 2.5oz =~ 2/3 cup?

I would have thought that 2/3 cup sugar is a lot more than 2.5oz....

EDIT: I ran it again with American Pale Ale instead of IPA and it says 4oz....

Figure I might just try half cup to be safe. I'm using fine to medium granule raw sugar.

I got 2.5 oz of table sugar.. using this: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

is that right? I left my scale somewhere.... is 2.5oz =~ 2/3 cup?

I would have thought that 2/3 cup sugar is a lot more than 2.5oz....

EDIT: I ran it again with American Pale Ale instead of IPA and it says 4oz....

Figure I might just try half cup to be safe. I'm using fine to medium granule raw sugar.

I don't remember what 2/3 cup came out to be. But for 5 gallons of beer at 70 degrees, for 2 volumes you need about 2.6 ounces of cane sugar. For 2.5 volumes your looking at 3.8 ounces. 2-2.5 volumes is about middle of the road.

White Sugar (Granulated)

Cups Grams Ounces
2 Tbsp 25 g .89 oz
1/4 cup 50 g 1.78 oz
1/3 cup 67 g 2.37 oz
1/2 cup 100 g 3.55 oz
2/3 cup 134 g 4.73 oz
3/4 cup 150 g 5.3 oz
1 cup 201 g 7.1 oz

Looks like 1/2 cup would be close enough.

THANKS. I'll try half cup. The sugar I'm using is raw and larger granules, so 1/2 cup would probably be a little less. Should work fine. Thanks.

Back