I need to see the light...but I need wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
I'm sooooooo close to finishing my build and I'm down to wiring switches and I'm going crazy trying to get the switches I have to light up when the send power. I can get them to work but without the light. I've been going nuts searching and can't find a good pic. I'm a very visual person so here are some pics of what I have.
The feed coming in is on the right and goes to the distribution blocks. the ground bar will eventually be attached to the frame.
DSCF1129.jpg

This is the switch wired and working with no light
DSCF1128.jpg

And here is the switch itself. It is a basic selector switch from automation direct with a normal light. The contact is a normally open one. Please help I'm at my wits end and I know this is something easy that I'm looking over.
DSCF1130.jpg

Without the exact model number of the switch, it's hard to say.

But, at first glance, the indicator is called out in the specification as X1 and X2. In your picture, I can see X's marked on the switch housing, with screws directly below - right in the center. (Disclaimer! I'm assuming you bought a switch with a 120 volt indicator. If you do this with a lamp rated for 24v or anything other than 120v, you'll smoke your light and possibly the switch)
You would do the following:

Run another wire from the load side of the green contact block to the indicator connection (X1 or X2) so that power is applied to that post when the switch is "ON". This way the indicator is wired in parallel to the load. If you wire the indicator in series to the load, your whole load will pass through the indicator (Not good)
Connect the other "X" connector back to your neutral block to complete the circuit.
This way, when the switch is "ON", power is applied to your load, as well as the indicator built into the switch.

I can give much better advice if I know the actual part number of the switch, and the contact block...

Here is the switch I have.
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc..._-a-_Non-Illuminated/Incandescent/GCX1253-120

I just tried what you said now I have light all the time and the switch still works damn I have to be close. The contact block does say 24v on it which is a little confusing considering it is a 120v switch

The switches and contact blocks are separate things, possibly with separate ratings.

If it's on all the time, you're feeding the light from the "Line" or feed side of the switch. You need to power the light from the "Load" side of the switch - The side that feeds the outlet or PID or whatever you have the switch powering.

something like this (Sorry, it's a quick drawing...)
Switch.jpg

Edit: The unreadable text on the light (center) contacts says X1 and X2! Make sure these are not the screws for mounting the switch to the panel. That would cause a dead short to neutral when the switch is on. And that would be bad... Use the contacts for the indicator light :)

Bingo you are a savior that was exaclty what I needed. I cant see that to save my life but that little diagram will help me forever with these switches

Back