First mead done, with first-timer results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I wanted to do a sweet mead close to a year ago. I wasn't overly worked up over it, and didn't give it the attention it needed. The end result is that I've got a 5.25% abv mead with an FG of ~1.065. I do know what went wrong as such. I needed to be better about nutrients and stirring the yeast up etc. Anyhow, the original recipe was just generic cheap honey from Sam's club, vanilla extract, water, and sweet mead yeast. Any ideas on how to make use of it? I'm thinking maybe getting or making some hard cider for mixing with it, but I'm open to anything. It definitely tastes like a sweet mead, just a little extra sweet and a little less alcoholic bite to it.

Well, with less than 6% ABV, and no other preservatives such as hops or the like in it, it won't be stable too much longer. This kind of brew is prone to infection, since it has enough residual sugar in it to make it attractive to a number of infection organisms.

If I had it, I'd make up a batch of something very dry, and use this mead to backsweeten the dry batch.

Well, with less than 6% ABV, and no other preservatives such as hops or the like in it, it won't be stable too much longer. This kind of brew is prone to infection, since it has enough residual sugar in it to make it attractive to a number of infection organisms.

If I had it, I'd make up a batch of something very dry, and use this mead to backsweeten the dry batch.

That's an excellent point. It's been fine for a year, but of course it hasn't been disturbed by much of anything. Is there any preservative that would work well in this situation?

That's an excellent point. It's been fine for a year, but of course it hasn't been disturbed by much of anything. Is there any preservative that would work well in this situation?

Has the FG been stable for that whole time? Is this now in bottles or bulk aging in a carboy? I know it has been sitting for a year and it has been fine. By fine do you mean no mold growing on it or anything like that.

I'm not sure at what point it's safe to assume that the yeast are absolutely not going to take off again, but I would be concerned with that much sugar that racking into a bottling bucket might rouse the yeast and they would start fermenting in the bottles. Of course, if you've already sulfited and sorbated this, ignore my questions! :D

It has been sitting in a secondary for the past 10 months. The gravity has changed by maybe .05 in that time.

Please understand that I wasn't too worried about the final product and racked it over based on time rather than gravity. So, there isn't much yeast at all on the bottom and it's pretty clear as well. I'm sure there could be some yeast dormant, but isn't much. I noticed belatedly that the fg was too high for the secondary, and tried adding more nutrient and stirring up what little yeast was there to little avail. Half a year ago I chalked it up to a learning experience, shrugged, and then left it in the corner of the closet for another 6 months. Aging it more wouldn't hurt it, and if it went bad, the honey was REAL cheap. (1.65/lb if I recall)

If it tastes fine, it's probably fine. I'm not sure how viable any of that yeast would be after a year. I can't imagine it has too much left in it. I've only made mead a couple of times so can't really say if you would definitely need to kill it off before doing anything with it. Maybe a few more experienced members can chime in?

I'd say you bottle some as super sweet (only a few smaller 12oz bottles), then use the rest to backsweeten a dry batch.

As long as you've sulfited it and it's not oxygenated or growing some sort of infection, this is perfect for backsweetening and/or "topping up" when you rack another batch.

Back