How To Send In Water For Ward Labs Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im confused as how to pay if you just send in a sample without ordering the kit. How does that work, do you pay online after they receive the sample?

they suggested to use a 16.5 oz water bottle ....i packed it in a small box full of peanuts .

good to go.

GD:mug:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got a vacuum sealer that will allow me to vacuum pack liquids (it's a chamber sealer). Do you think that sending a pouch of water would be OK? It would definitely minimize headspace, and I can be sure that it'll fit in a flat-rate box.

Anyone see problems with this approach?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got a vacuum sealer that will allow me to vacuum pack liquids (it's a chamber sealer). Do you think that sending a pouch of water would be OK? It would definitely minimize headspace, and I can be sure that it'll fit in a flat-rate box.

Anyone see problems with this approach?

Yes. You have to rely on other people to pack their packages correctly...which never happens.

when speaking to wards lab, inc.....before sending a sample, they suggested a 16 oz bottled water bottle.....dump the water rinse out with the sample water a few time fill and send it on. and that's what I did. ......used an aqua fina bottle.

cheers
GD51

Make sure write at least your phone number on the bottle with a market, in case it gets separated from the paperwork.

+1 on the price... was just talking to someone about this and was quoted about $16. Price is $39.60 for brewers test or $28.60 for the wt6 test which is only less iron and phosphorus (which isn't on my radar at this point).

I had planned to send my household water and also a sample of spring water from the grocery store i've been using followed by a sample of "RO" water from the grocery store just to see what i'm working with.

Anyone know of another lab that does the same testing?

I don't understand... Why would anyone else be involved?

Just saw your quote.

So imagine a 60 pound piece of metal, lets call it a tooth for a backhoe being shipped via UPS. Guy loading the trailer is having a bad day or doesn't care about the load.

Shipper of said box thought: "It is a 60 pound piece of metal, it is undamagable so I can reuse this flimsy box with any packing material!"

Now the box with metal in it happens to be in thr trailer on its way to Omaha with your water sample. Trucker driver gets a pothole and that 60 pound piece of metal is now on top of your box, just resting. Still hours from being unloaded. The box with the metal tooth is falling apart on top of your box with more bumps before its destination.

What happens next? Your packaging will determine the outcome. Make sure you pack your box full of packing material (paper, peanuts, etc.) to make the sides ridgid and able to support another box or 8 on top of it.

I believe that your municipal supply report is adequate for iron and phosphorus, unless you see a red, rusty or brown color to your water, or taste metallic flavors. Then you may wish to get those reported. I would think for well water specifically it would be more critical.

I would save the extra few bucks and go with the cheaper suggestion.

i just recently did the brewing water one and was absolutely shocked at how long it took. i actually thought it was lost at one point. it took about 3 weeks to get the kit and about 3 weeks to get it back. this is from illinois to nebraska. they blamed the post office. hmm... both times?

i just recently did the brewing water one and was absolutely shocked at how long it took. i actually thought it was lost at one point. it took about 3 weeks to get the kit and about 3 weeks to get it back. this is from illinois to nebraska. they blamed the post office. hmm... both times?

Is it going parcel post? USPS takes their sweet time moving those packages around.

That didn't sound like my experience a year and a half ago, but I couldn't really remember.

But just last Friday I mailed off another sample. I didn't use a kit, just an old water bottle. Mailed from California.

My results were in my email this morning.

So while apparently sometimes things go wrong with the Ward Labs shipping, sometimes it's almost shockingly quick.

sorry for bumping an old thread. i should have read this thread before i sent my water off.

i just threw the package into the usps collection box with the pre-paid shipping label on top. LOLOL.

good thing i bought 2 test kits...im gonna wait a few weeks to see if hear anything from ward labs.

if not...i'll just use the 2nd kit and drop it off at the post office. sigh.

Back