1.200 20%+ 120 Minute IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look forward to this thread. Especially when sirsloop is the most recent poster. Then I know I get an update. Keep 'em coming man!

Last addition... servomyces and whirlfloc went in...

~1.096 OG...

474403774_hRGjw-L-0.jpg

There's always tomorrow Bobby... unless you are working. My coworker should be over too for the Club Imperial Porter brew...

Brew is done... came out to 1.091. I'm .02 short of my target OG, which works out to 74% efficiency. Considering I brew an entire second batch of beer outta this grain no hearts were broken. I have 2.5 gallons of wort chilling now that will get added to another 2.5 gallons tomorrow.

I'm using US-05 to chew through the malt portion. It should reduce off flavors imparted by the WLP099. I have a full 5 gallon starter of WLP099 ready to rock when I start adding the dextrose.

FYI - I did my initial ferment with the California Ale yeast at 70-72. Once I pitched the WLP099 starter I moved it down to 68. Its now at 16.6% and doesn't seem to be having problems eating the sugar. Maybe this will change as it approaches the 20s, but so far its happy.

This thread is very fascinating. I wonder how long this will have to age to come into its prime?

FYI - I did my initial ferment with the California Ale yeast at 70-72. Once I pitched the WLP099 starter I moved it down to 68. Its now at 16.6% and doesn't seem to be having problems eating the sugar. Maybe this will change as it approaches the 20s, but so far its happy.

I dont see any reason to keep the US-05 that high. I'm trying to limit fusel alcohol at this point, which means lower temps. Once the alcohol percentages go up you need to give the yeast a little more oomph to keep going so thats the reason I would increase the temps. Try to coax a little more out of them...

Kinda off topic... what do you do when you borrow your friends cooler and the ****ty plastic hinge that Igloo designed to break finally breaks???

48qt Igloo Maxcold Hinge upgrade!

474973283_bLoeu-M.jpg

474973211_vbg4T-M.jpg

:p:p (and I reattached that strap on the inside too...lol...)

Kinda off topic... what do you do when you borrow your friends cooler and the ****ty plastic hinge that Igloo designed to break finally breaks???
I'd deny everything. Say it was like that when you found it. As long as you don't post pictures of it on a public forum you should be able to get away with it completely. ;)

payment for bothering him on Valentines day and letting me use the cooler in the first place! ;) It came out real nice too I'll add!

Ok, another update... the 120 seems to have slowed down! I took a peek in it this morning and the krausen has fallen. I didnt take a gravity reading... i'll check that tonight. Anyways, I figure tonight is the night to drop in the WLP099 and start the dextrose adventure!

My 120 clone has officially reached 20% after 13 days and 22 lbs of sugar (11 gal batch). It slowed down a day or two ago and the gravity is now around 1.030. I'm gonna let it finish and add more sugar later if its too dry to balance the hops and alcohol. Next some dry hopping followed by some cold conditioning.

I tasted it at 17% and it was mighty good even with also the crap in solution. So I think I will be drinking this as soon as its kegged.

Congrats on getting down to 1.030!! That is awesome. I'm pretty sure Sean Paxton only got his down to 1.050, so you're definitely upped the bar.

US-05 nailed it down to 1.018 (9.5% ABV) in 5 days!!!! Adding 1 pound of Dextrose, WLP099 cake, and aerated it for about 90 seconds on low, stirred up the cake in the primary.

I think twice a day at this point is a little excessive. The last addition is fermenting like a madman. I went over, started swirling the fermenter a little but, and got the wort spinnin real good for around 30 seconds. That should kick up a lot of the sediment and help out with attenuation. I plan on adding another pound of dextrose tonight, along with more oxygen. I think I'm going to add oxygen until I hit 5 pounds in. That will leave 6-7pounds worth of sugars left to consume that. Each time I add sugar I use the stone to stir up the cake. The cake is completely roused into suspension after the wand treatment.

Yeasties destroyed the last sugar addition. More oxygen and sugar went in today. I'm stirring up the cake with my aeration stone and racking cane, then simply sprinkling the corn sugar on top. There was mention about added nucleation sites making for a bubbly mess... didn't have that problem. It may be more of an issue in a carboy...

Eh... should be around 13% tonight. So far absolutely no problems with fermentation. The yeast are going nuts...

bubble bubble.. 6 pounds of sugar are in... its at roughly 16% and showing absolutely no signs of stopping. Its been bubbling (literally) constantly since sugar additions. I'll take a pic of the wort tomorrow during the next addition... it looks f-in THICK!!!!

I've created a monster!! I've got 1.091 worth of malt plus 6 pounds of dextrose here (roughly 1.150)... its still fermenting like crazy... check the current gravity!!!!

480306318_AgK4P-L.jpg

I just added another pound of dextrose... MONSTERRRR BREWWWWWW!!!

480306421_kUHQe-L.jpg

You are inspiring me. I'm trying to dig through this thread...how did you end up deciding to add the dextrose? Dry? One other question, is there any particular reason to use dextrose over sucrose? My understanding was that sucrose is more fermentable. I'm not really sure on the difference in flavor, post fermenation.

Sucrose would require the yeast to produce invertase, in a high alcohol environment I'm not sure how good the yeast would be at adapting to produce invertase? It might work... Inverting the sugar using an acid and heat before adding would certainly work, but it'd be a pain compared to dumping in dextrose I would think.

Back