Bru'nwater Dry vs Full??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@mabrungard, I'm playing with the newest version of Bru'nwater and I am struggling to really understand the concept of sulfate/chloride ration and it's effect on the perception of flavor/feel in a finished beer.

Specifically I'm planning a kolsch recipe and on one hand Kolsch water is often described as "soft", and yet the beer is also described as "crisp".

To me, a soft beer is made with water containing less mineral content, while a "Crisp" beer has enough mineral content cause some feel or flavor.

What would you recommend for a Kolsch water profile in the selection box in Bru'nwater?

@mabrungard, I'm playing with the newest version of Bru'nwater and I am struggling to really understand the concept of sulfate/chloride ration and it's effect on the perception of flavor/feel in a finished beer.

Specifically I'm planning a kolsch recipe and on one hand Kolsch water is often described as "soft", and yet the beer is also described as "crisp".

To me, a soft beer is made with water containing less mineral content, while a "Crisp" beer has enough mineral content cause some feel or flavor.

What would you recommend for a Kolsch water profile in the selection box in Bru'nwater?

Subbed. I don't have any clue but really would like to improve my Kolsch.

Recently got judges feedback on a Kolsch. It did OK but both judges commented it was not quite "crisp" enough. I'd be very interested to know what mineral profile folks are using.

My sodium and sulphate levels are higher than I would like.

The problem may be entirely related to other aspects of the recipe of course. I liked the beer but never having had a Kolsch that is pretty worthless.

I did a bit of looking online and it seems Cologne water is a bit of a mystery. The profiles I've seen so far make the water seem not too soft, or should I say, fairly minerally.

What I have for a profile on my water calc sheet is:

Calcium=73
Magnesium=4
Sodium=29
Sulfate=98
Chloride= 104

And even then the sodium is a bit lower than what I've found on some sites.

I find that crispness is largely a function of pH and by that I mean, a slightly lower pH. With respect to soft, I agree that having low ionic content in the brewing water is helpful. For those reasons, I find that the color based profiles in Bru'n Water are good for Kolsch brewing. They have fairly low mineralization, but are still suited to ale brewing.

I find that crispness is largely a function of pH and by that I mean, a slightly lower pH. With respect to soft, I agree that having low ionic content in the brewing water is helpful. For those reasons, I find that the color based profiles in Bru'n Water are good for Kolsch brewing. They have fairly low mineralization, but are still suited to ale brewing.

That's good to know. I generally take my target profiles from the software.

The mash pH on my Kolsch was 5.37

Next time I'll shoot for 5.3 and see what difference it brings.

I fermented at 60F with WLP029. Perhaps going lower would also bring more of a crisper finish and subdue the slight floral aroma of the yeast

Thanks

Back