Brewery Tour MD & DE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
I have a friend who recently got a job in Frederick MD. I am from boone NC and have decided to go see him over new years eve to party in D.C. with his brother. I am planning on touring Flying Dog and was going to head east to tour Dogfish Head. Anybody in between Frederick and Milton and have any good breweries nearby? Any suggestions on any good beer to purchase. We get a decent selection in N.C. but are there some hidden gems. thanks!

Clipper City!

The tour is $5 and you get a souvenir pint glass and 6 tickets for sample tasting (their "samples" are more like half-pints). They have a couple of brands (Clipper City, Heavy Seas, Oxford). The Clipper City brews are lighter ales (a gold ale, etc.), the Heavy Seas are heavier, bigger beers (really good IPA, saison, barleywine, etc), and Oxford are organic (a raspberry wheat and I think a red ale).

The brewery is located just below the Baltimore beltway (southeast side of the beltway). More often than not, the owner gives the tour and he is a fun guy. I HIGHLY recommend the tour.

Pottsville PA is home of Americas Oldest Brewery Yuengling. Never taken a tour, but enjoy their lager. Or as a friend from Philly calls it Pennsylvania Gatorade.

I've been to a brew pub in Philly. I can't remember the name though maybe some locals Philly phanatics can help out.

I have actually had the loose cannon and peg leg about a year ago when I started seeing it in the stores. I will have to check that out. thanks!

I've had the pleasure of touring the Flying Dog brewery in Frederick. You can show up a half hour before the tours start and hang out in the sampling room/bar. $5 bucks will get you a flying dog pint glass and all the beer you could drink (in half pint samples). It actually seemed like most of the people there didn't want to go on the tour at all, they just wanted to hang out in the bar drinking for 3 hours. Definitely worth it.

There's also Brewer's Alley as well as Barley and Hops in Frederick. Those are brewpubs though, so a tour might not be anything special. I haven't been to Brewer's Alley yet, since B&H is so freaking close to me. Might be worth checking out one of these places the night before you head off on your journey or something hehe.

triumph?

if you venture that far, Monks is a must...not a brew pub, but an incredible beer list

Pottsville PA is home of Americas Oldest Brewery Yuengling. Never taken a tour, but enjoy their lager. Or as a friend from Philly calls it Pennsylvania Gatorade.

I've been to a brew pub in Philly. I can't remember the name though maybe some locals Philly phanatics can help out.

There's also Brewer's Alley as well as Barley and Hops in Frederick. Those are brewpubs though, so a tour might not be anything special. I haven't been to Brewer's Alley yet, since B&H is so freaking close to me. Might be worth checking out one of these places the night before you head off on your journey or something hehe.

Off topic, but....have you tried B&H's new brew Hoptopsy? I had it at the Oktoberfest in Timonium and have been obsessed with it since. I don't make it their much, but I really ought to.

Stewart's Brewing Company

Website's not much to look at, but Ric makes some award-winning beers down there in a strip mall!

I will second that. They make some of the best beer I have ever had. I actually live about 2 miles away and am in there usuaully atleast twice a week. Really good food and great beer.

Another one that I would reccomend but may be a little out of the way is Victory in Downingtown, Pa. Food is a little pricey for a pub but very good. There tour is decent too. I went there for my bachelor party so I dont really remeber it too well. I just remember that I was really pissing off the tour guide because I kept calling him out on things and asking questions that he had no idea the answer to.

I will second that. They make some of the best beer I have ever had. I actually live about 2 miles away and am in there usuaully atleast twice a week. Really good food and great beer.

I used to live in Riverwalk off Walther Rd... Had to walk to Stewart's during the President's Day '03 Blizzard. The roads in DE were closed for a state of emergency, but Al was open, god bless'im.

So yes, I walked 2 miles, in 2 feet of snow, uphill to get Stewart's beer!!!

I'd have lost my mind, had I not.

I pass that neighborhood almost every day. I live off of smalley's dam rd in newtown village. When did you move?

philly area has vitory, triumph, yards, dock street, and...um...another one.

oh, and clipper city is definitely a good one to hit.

And while your at it stop at State Line Liquors just off 95 in Elkton. It is in the perfect place because it gives you another excuse to get off 95 instead of just skipping the tolls. You will feel like you have just found a genie. Its the only liquor store I have ever been in that has shopping carts.

Back