1.010 Final Gravity in Apfelwein after 6 weeks?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kedash

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our first 5 gallons of Apfelwein fermented out to just below 1.000 and tasted great etc. This batch was only in the fermenter 4 weeks.

Our second batch (10 gallons) was bottled last night after 6 weeks of fermentation. We bottled the first 5 gallons carboy still and the second carboy was primed for a carbonated batch.

I took a hydrometer reading on the still 5 gallons and was surprised to see that it was at 1.010! I forgot to take a reading on the primed 5 gallons.

It tastes the same as the batch we made several months ago and visually it had fermented out completely. The fermentation lock has been dead for a long time (just raised, not bubbling at all).

My fear is that it didn't finish fermenting due to whatever factor. Maybe the yeast pooped out before the job was done?

My question is: Will I get bottle-bombs out of the carbed batch?

I bought a new hydrometer flask (bigger, more stable) and am using the same hydrometer, but that shouldn't change the reading. Right? Duh.

Lastly, the temperature was 78 degrees. I realize this is a little higher than desired, but that's the best I can do with the house A/C and no way of controlling the fermentation temp. (yet).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Go Ducks!

What was the OG on the batch? It sounds like it could be done to me. Personally I wouldn't worry about it and bottle it as normal. Three weeks after that, THEN I'd start to worry :p

What was the OG on the batch? It sounds like it could be done to me. Personally I wouldn't worry about it and bottle it as normal. Three weeks after that, THEN I'd start to worry :p

I didn't take an OG reading because I couldn't imagine how it would ever be different. It's always five gallons of Apple Juice and two pounds of corn sugar.

I remember Ed Wort saying it ferments out to less than 1.000 and that is what my first batch several months ago did. It's just as clear as that previous batch. I'm really bewildered over this.

Ed Wort...are you out there? Any ideas?

Thanks!

You say it tasted the same? Are you sure you got your SG reading correct? There is a big taste difference in cider at 1.010 and 1.000. How long was your airlock dead? If you see no fermentation for at least a week before bottling and it is sitting at a good temp. (74 F or so), then I seriously doubt you will have bottle bombs. It's not going to suddenly want to eat that sugar in the bottles that it wouldn't eat in the carboy.

Back