how long can I let my beer sit at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
after bottling and carbonation time, how long can my beer sit at room temp before it goes bad? I give by beers 2-3 +/- weeks for carbonation.

Your beer won't go "bad" at room temp. It takes roughly 2.5-3 weeks for beer to carbonate. I'm assuming your using brown bottles, and even then i have them covered in a dark place.

Your beer won't go "bad" at room temp. It takes roughly 2.5-3 weeks for beer to carbonate. I'm assuming your using brown bottles, and even then i have them covered in a dark place.

No, it won't go bad per say, but there are styles that are better to drink when they are fresh. Depending on alcohol content, recipe, etc., you'll want to judge the freshness of your beer. I'd drink a pale ale in a couple of months, but I'd let a barley wine sit for years.

This has less to do with ambient temps though and more to do with the nature of beer (or most any food product, really)

You can leave them at room temp indefinitely...it doesn't mean some won't loose something over time (some beers are best drunk young) while others like Barleywines improve with age.

Back