Need some Märzen input.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Count Patron

Reaction score
I apologize if this topic has been covered extensively, I am a noob and do not have the search thing down yet... but anyways...

I am looking to do a Märzen for my next batch and I was wondering if the more experienced people had any tips, input or good kits (purchasable online) that could get me started? My last (and first) batch was American IPA which turned out absolutely fantastic so I am excited to go on to another style (and personal favorite). This would be for an extract Märzen.

Thanks in advance. :ban:

I know that I've posted one in the past and there are probably some in the database. Can you lager and ferment cool? That would really be a requirement for an honest-to-goodness marzen, but you could try a clean fermenting ale yeast if you couldn't lager.

Yeah, if you can ferment cool and lager, that would be a HUGE plus. If so, let it lager for as long as you can, or as long as you have a good beer supply! The longer you let it lager, the smoother/better it will be.

Use the White Labs SAN Fran Lager yeast, It is very clean fermenting. Ferment at 65 degrees and secondary as cold as you can possibly get it.

So would it be better to wait for winter time when the temperatures are a little cooler?
Traditionally these are brewed in March, hence the name. Since they're technically lagers, to do it exactly you'd need to be able to lager, which means the ambient outside temperature probably doesn't matter much.

If you can't lager, you're kind of faking it anyway, so just get a good neutral ale yeast and go.

I made the AHS Marzen/Oktoberfest mini-mash kit a few months ago and definitely recommend it.

I've only been brewing since Jan 1. It's hands down my best beer so far. Once I free up some bottles, I'll be purchasing two of the kits. I want to double the batch so that I'm fully using the fridge space.

Wife and I each drank a bottle tonight.

Dan

I made the AHS Marzen/Oktoberfest mini-mash kit a few months ago and definitely recommend it.

I've only been brewing since Jan 1. It's hands down my best beer so far. Once I free up some bottles, I'll be purchasing two of the kits. I want to double the batch so that I'm fully using the fridge space.

Wife and I each drank a bottle tonight.

Dan

Cool I will check it out. :mug:

Back