Plant Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick_R

Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We had this plant a couple of summers ago, and I wanted to get another -- but my plant identification ability stops after roses and sunflowers. Any dedicated flower gardeners here know what type of plant this is?

plant.jpg

Thanks,

Rick

I don't know many ornamental plants (just the toxic ones), but that kinda looks like a mint to me. Is the stem square in cross section?

Looks like exus redus. Those things are very expensive and very difficult to cultivate. You'd probaby be better off with a exus blackus, they are much more forgiving.

Edit: As soon as I posted and looked at the thread again the photo was there and the red x was gone. Never mind.

(seriously this time)

Take the photo to your local nursery. There's bound to be a plant geek there who can identify it.

+1 take it to a local nursery, master gardeners chapter, local/state/federal forestry office, or if there is an extension program in your state, perhaps an agent can put you in touch with a botanist.

as far as my second guess, possibly a coleus? I know they have flower spikes like that and some can get pretty red......

We had this plant a couple of summers ago, and I wanted to get another -- but my plant identification ability stops after roses and sunflowers. Any dedicated flower gardeners here know what type of plant this is?

plant.jpg

Thanks,

Rick

Rick thats some variety of Salvia. You can buy it in the garden center at WalMart, KMart or Home Depot.

My in house gardener (ill get smacked for that) looked at the picture and said "That's a coleus. By the way, I bought 2 of them yesterday, as well as a couple of flats, some hostas and a few other plants. I put it on your Visa, just so you know"

So, this tells me that your plant is indeed a coleus and im a little bit broker then I was Friday. haha

I put it on your Visa, just so you know
Thanks for letting me know -- anyway you can explain how that works to SWMBO?

Rick
(Actually, can't complain - SWMBO does a pretty good job in letting me know; only took thirty years of marriage to work that out.)

Back