Will the Krausen ever settle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a 10 gal batch of American Amber and split it into 2 carboys.. Each with a different yeast.

1 had Muntons
1 had White Labs California Ale

The muntons fermented fairly quickly and its still going its just slow now (about 8 days in.)

The Cali Ale yeast i used was washed and recultured via stirplate and its still fermenting but the Krausen is still there after 8 days. ( i had activity within an hour and krausen within 5 hours)

Im sure that when i hit day 14 there will still be a half inch of it. Should i just let it go till it settles out and fermentation completely stops or should i wait till day 12-14 and rack into my secondary?

i usually do 2 weeks in the primary no matter what. i have a feeling it will fall by then anyway.

if you really would like to rack to secondary, just make sure fermentation is complete (take a SG reading) and you can do it now.

Take gravity samples every couple of days dont rack into secondary untill you like what the yeast have done for you this is your beer let the beer hit a terminal gravity (the point at wich the yeast have done all that they can or will) then move it into secondary or remove the yeast from the beer otherwise you can get some very meaty or autolised yeast off flavors but the Krausen can stay in the primary or secondary that is just a make up of protiens and dead yeast so it will all settle out but it really isnt a huge problem lots of brewers use a uni tank system and just remove the yeast as it floculates out and thats just to keep the autolised off flavor out of the beer
Z

MR. Zak said:
Take gravity samples every couple of days dont rack into secondary untill you like what the yeast have done for you this is your beer let the beer hit a terminal gravity (the point at wich the yeast have done all that they can or will) then move it into secondary or remove the yeast from the beer otherwise you can get some very meaty or autolised yeast off flavors but the Krausen can stay in the primary or secondary that is just a make up of protiens and dead yeast so it will all settle out but it really isnt a huge problem lots of brewers use a uni tank system and just remove the yeast as it floculates out and thats just to keep the autolised off flavor out of the beer
Z

That is the longest sentence I have ever read. Impressive. :rockin:

i've had the white labs cali ale yeast sit on the top for ages. agree with txlaw, shake it back in.

I had one sit up there for well over a month, more like two, finally dropped in one day.

Some of the best beer I have brewed everyone who has tasted it liked it.

My first AG and I worried over it like a first child.

My last lager used WY 2112 California Lager yeast. It formed an almost crusty krausen layer on top that didn't drop after 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back