Really Low Mash Temp... Issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just made a pale ale an a last minute brew day. Wort is chilling atm.
When I mashed in, I put the strike water in the cooler to preheat and it was around 168 or so, it was too hot (obvi) was shooting for about 150ish on the mash temp so I went on and did some stuff while I was waiting for it to cool a touch.

So I mashed in late, the water temp was around 153-154 when I mashed in.
I mashed in as fast as possible and closed the top. After the hour was up, I popped the top and checked the temp and it was around 137-138. Yipes. I made the mistake of not checking in partway into the mash as I was busy as hell (but obviously really should have)
My OG should have been about 1.070, I hit about 1.065 (not too far off)
Should I be worried about anything else (besides it being lacking body from the temps being too low?)
Thanks

Most of the malt converts within 15 minutes. Your eff suffered a little because of the temp drop so the hard to convert sugar chains didn't all convert. I bet your mouthfeel is even fine because you started at the right temp. It'll probably be your best beer to date and you'll spend the rest of your brewing career trying to duplicate it!

Your temps got low by the end, indeed. But I guess the temp stayed over 150 for at least 30 minutes, witch is not bad at all. You might not have converted all of the starches, but since you hit your O.G. pretty close I would not worry. It will most likely be excellent beer.

RDWHAHB !

Cheers !

Just guessing but your mash probably settled around the low 140's. if you normally lose 3 or 4 degrees over an hour that could end you up in the high 130's. You will have a very dry beer. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a few beers that mashed real low and they fermented very dry. While they weren't what I was shooting for they were still good beers.

If the temp was 153 when he mashed in the grains at room temp are going to drop the temp between 5 and 10 degrees after dough in.

ooh right I just noticed that 153 was before the dough in. They yes, definitely gonna end up with a dry brew ! But a good brew, for sure.

Your temps got low by the end, indeed. But I guess the temp stayed over 150 for at least 30 minutes, witch is not bad at all. You might not have converted all of the starches, but since you hit your O.G. pretty close I would not worry. It will most likely be excellent beer.

RDWHAHB !

Cheers !

Well, the strike water temp was 154 or so, so his mash temp was probably around 145 as soon as the grain went in. Other than that I agree with everything else you said. ;)

Back