I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things are crazy here, as usual. I've got 25 gallons of beer in the works and I'm going to need every drop. I shot a bear!!!! Killed it with a buck shot. I've been on a killing spree(not people, just predators and pests) and filled up my big freezer and mom's freezer. 2 of hubby's friends have been coming by to to help me skin and gut my kills in exchange for some of the meat. In the last 2 weeks, one bear, 3 raccoons, and 2 alligators from the lake. Not to mention bass from the lake that friends caught and shared with me. Also got 10 pounds of hog meat from another friend, I'll probably get it turned into sausage and give the guy 1/2, so 5 pound of sausage coming to me. And then there are eggs from my chickens and a garden full of vegetables and herbs. My goal of becoming totally self-sufficient is becoming a reality.

Things are crazy here, as usual. I've got 25 gallons of beer in the works and I'm going to need every drop. I shot a bear!!!! Killed it with a buck shot. I've been on a killing spree(not people, just predators and pests) and filled up my big freezer and mom's freezer. 2 of hubby's friends have been coming by to to help me skin and gut my kills in exchange for some of the meat. In the last 2 weeks, one bear, 3 raccoons, and 2 alligators from the lake. Not to mention bass from the lake that friends caught and shared with me. Also got 10 pounds of hog meat from another friend, I'll probably get it turned into sausage and give the guy 1/2, so 5 pound of sausage coming to me. And then there are eggs from my chickens and a garden full of vegetables and herbs. My goal of becoming totally self-sufficient is becoming a reality.

Way to go Bobbi :ban: Feels good to have a bunch of food that you have got for yourself huh.

Got to say though bear meat is not high on my list of favorite foods. Not bad in a roast though if you can slow cook it:rockin:

I am SO making sauerkraut when I get back from vacation. I made kimchi once, but it was WAY too spicey.

Mine was submerged by a couple of inches by the time I went to bed last night, I'm guessing I did something right.
Need to try kimchi again, I did once years ago, psych my self out and became uncomfortable with it and dumped it but I do remember it fermenting pretty well.

Mine isn't bubbling or stinking yet, but it definitely has released a lot of water. The house is a little cold, so I think it's going to be a slow mover.

Yooper, I know I'll recognize it when I see it, but "for everyone else" what is your name for the vote? If I can actually vote for Yooper, I'll stuff the ballot.

(I think "Stuff the Ballot" is playing with "Scoring an Old Crock" this weekend).

LOL. If you want to "stuff the ballot" for me, I'm ok with that!

My name is Lorena. There are 26 people running, so it's going to be a tough battle!

I am SO making sauerkraut when I get back from vacation. I made kimchi once, but it was WAY too spicey.

PP, there is no such thing as "too spicy". Ever. :D

Mine isn't bubbling or stinking yet, but it definitely has released a lot of water. The house is a little cold, so I think it's going to be a slow mover.

The salt does pull a lot of water out of the cabbage. I've done refrigerator pickles which draws a lot of water. I was kind of surprised how much came out of the cabbage.

I've been in NYC since last week with the family. My kids, all Florida babies, thought it would be so great to go to a cold place for the new years. I think they have a new appreciation for FL.

We are staying in a high-rise hotel that looks down on Times Square, so they are getting a kick out of that. Manhattan is a big playground, but a very cold playground now. Can't wait to come back in the warmer weather.

The salt does pull a lot of water out of the cabbage. I've done refrigerator pickles which draws a lot of water. I was kind of surprised how much came out of the cabbage.

Yeah I was really surprised too. I'm really regretting not buying more cabbage, since it really compacted down a lot. I can tell this will only yield about the same amount I typically buy in one jar. I'm thinking I might start another larger batch with a mix of red and green cabbage tomorrow.

I've been in NYC since last week with the family. My kids, all Florida babies, thought it would be so great to go to a cold place for the new years. I think they have a new appreciation for FL.

We are staying in a high-rise hotel that looks down on Times Square, so they are getting a kick out of that. Manhattan is a big playground, but a very cold playground now. Can't wait to come back in the warmer weather.

You can't appreciate all the proper smells of the city when it's frozen! Perhaps it's for the better.

If you haven't done so, walk away from Times Square due west to 9th avenue, eat anywhere there.

Murray's Bagels (6th ave & 13th st) is the bomb for bagels.

If you're in a pinch for time, hit the market in Grand Central Station. It's all there (yes, even that). It's inside and warm, and the station is a neat building all by itself.

If you haven't done so, walk away from Times Square due west to 9th avenue, eat anywhere there.

Murray's Bagels (6th ave & 13th st) is the bomb for bagels.

If you're in a pinch for time, hit the market in Grand Central Station. It's all there (yes, even that). It's inside and warm, and the station is a neat building all by itself.

Yep, we've walked through the restaurants by the theater district. Walked through there on the way back from Central Park / Natural History Museum tonight. Last night we ate south of there at a very cool pizza place called John's Pizzeria around 44th st and 7th Ave. Tonight, ended up eating at a Irish Pub on 50th near Broadway called Playwright.

We stopped into Grand Central Terminal on the way back from the financial district last night. Subway. Very cool. I loved the constellation on the ceiling. Walked into the NY Public Library building too. Wow, these places are beyond expectations.

Ischiavo, you make a 20 something degree garage sound like like a spa. But to me Brrrrr! 😃

Just got word from my son a few minutes ago, he heads to Afghanistan in a few months. He"s pretty happy about that. I can't honestly say I am. But he raised his hand and took an oath to uphold the constitution of the United States and protect from enemies foreign and domestic. Personally I think domestic is a good place to start right now but that's not for this thread.

I'm proud of my boy. Godspeed son.

That sounds freaking awesome. Hope you have a great time with the family.

Just got word from my son a few minutes ago, he heads to Afghanistan in a few months. He"s pretty happy about that. I can't honestly say I am. But he raised his hand and took an oath to uphold the constitution of the United States and protect from enemies foreign and domestic. Personally I think domestic is a good place to start right now but that's not for this thread.

What is your son's service / MOS?

That's the price of service, going where you're told whether you want to or not. Be proud.

He's a Marine. I don't remember the digits of his MOS but he is a Technical Controller. His unit sets up the communications, a bit more than just radio stuff these days. He isn't deploying with his unit though. He's been itching to deploy and volunteering for anything that cones up. He got his wish.

I spent a career in the military but only a part of it in combat zones. He's doing what thousands have done before him.

Being his dad I'm proud and a little bit worried.

Ischiavo, you make a 20 something degree garage sound like like a spa. But to me Brrrrr! ��

Dan, hope your son has a good time and he comes back safe. I just got back. Its cold there...

He's a Marine. I don't remember the digits of his MOS but he is a Technical Controller. His unit sets up the communications, a bit more than just radio stuff these days. He isn't deploying with his unit though. He's been itching to deploy and volunteering for anything that cones up. He got his wish.

I spent a career in the military but only a part of it in combat zones. He's doing what thousands have done before him.

Being his dad I'm proud and a little bit worried.

My granddad served WW2 and Korea. My dad, Vietnam(radio). I almost went navy ROTC. I did very well on my tests and it seemed they were drooling over me. That scared me off. Everything the recruiter said sounded like a late night infomercial. I showed up on a Saturday for a "meeting" and was told my bus to Milwaukee was leaving in 40 minutes. I bolted and never looked back. If my sons serve, I hope they have a better experience getting in. I really hope they never have to.

My dad signed up for the air corp in 1943 when we were losing 20% of our bombers every mission. He made it home from Europe and then volunteered to become a glider pilot for the invasion of Japan envisioned for 1946.

My dad was crazy (and 20 years old). If it weren't for the atomic bomb I probably wouldn't be here.

Thanks for the support fellas. I know my son will do well. He's 24 years old, smart, in great physical (and mental) shape. Ready to go. I'm really glad he didn't go infantry to be honest. I think his mom and I talked him out of it. He's gotten a great education from the Marine Corps. Not just a year plus tech school but a pretty good set of core values. His plan right now is to complete his tour and go to college. He's got it in his head he wants to be an engineer. I don't know what kind. He flailed around a couple years of college in that field right after high school. I think his time in the Marines will give him a little more solid grounding on the next go.

My dad signed up for the air corp in 1943 when we were losing 20% of our bombers every mission. He made it home from Europe and then volunteered to become a glider pilot for the invasion of Japan envisioned for 1946.

My dad was crazy (and 20 years old). If it weren't for the atomic bomb I probably wouldn't be here.

I was not that bold. We are all living in the shadow of brave people like your father now.

I would have served without a thought if called upon. I just did not see it as a career choice at the time. Looking back, I may have got on that bus.

Thanks for the support fellas. I know my son will do well. He's 24 years old, smart, in great physical (and mental) shape. Ready to go. I'm really glad he didn't go infantry to be honest. I think his mom and I talked him out of it. He's gotten a great education from the Marine Corps. Not just a year plus tech school but a pretty good set of core values. His plan right now is to complete his tour and go to college. He's got it in his head he wants to be an engineer. I don't know what kind. He flailed around a couple years of college in that field right after high school. I think his time in the Marines will give him a little more solid grounding on the next go.

Dan - this was about where I was at when I went in the Air Force. It gave me focus and direction. I went on to get a PhD in mechanical engineering.

Can't say where your son will go, but Marines aren't ones to sit on their duffs and watch TV for the rest of their lives. Sounds like a smart man, your son.

TC, Ischiavo, It's pretty amazing what the young guys did in WWII and Korea achieved. In their early 20s those guys were flying combat missions. By mid-late 20s they were COs of squadrons.

Man, Americans just were kick ass back then. No wonder we call them the great generation

I was not that bold. We are all living in the shadow of brave people like your father now.

I would have served without a thought if called upon. I just did not see it as a career choice at the time. Looking back, I may have got on that bus.

I don't know if my dad was bold or simply craved adventure. He went on to fly combat cargo in the Far East Air Force in Korea, and did some stuff with the French in Vietnam (before the US got "officially" involved in Vietnam). He volunteered again for Vietnam when we did get involved. For some occult reason Uncle Sam sent him to Thule Greenland to cool his heels a bit. He flew as a civilian pilot and had a lot of close scrapes and adventures doing that as well.

TC, Ischiavo, It's pretty amazing what the young guys did in WWII and Korea achieved. In their early 20s those guys were flying combat missions. By mid-late 20s they were COs of squadrons.

Man, Americans just were kick ass back then. No wonder we call them the great generation

I know. My dad was 19 years old, winging his way overseas as a co-pilot of a B-24. At 19 I was just chasing girls at UMass.

The Corps gave him the confidence to do anything. If he wants to be an engineer, he has exactly what it takes.

Yep Pappy, I truly believe that. He's

Yep, Passedpawn. He's always been a good kid but I've seen in him develop a lot of maturity and and focus over these last three years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might just be synical, but it seems like the old school generation joined because they had something worth fighting for. But nowdays, they join because they have nothing to live for. Getting shot at pays better than the jobs available to most. My buddy Josh just got back from his third middle east tour. 101st Airborne. Now they're trying to push him out on disability because of hearing loss from all the combat he's seen. I won't go any further. I'm not trying to start a political debate. That would create unneccesary work for PP. :) I just don't think it makes good sense to join right now.

Back